A Conversation for Bad Habits and How to Stop Them

Giving up

Post 1

Secretly Not Here Any More

Smoking is now commonly seen as a taboo, the definitive bad habit. Now I enjoy it but I've tried to quit before now and the best way was what I call "Tea Therapy."

Basically, every time you get that little craving for a cigarette, or get a bit stressed because you can't bite your nails or whatever simply make a cup of tea, sit it in front of you then get out the digestive biscuits and dunk away. After 3 biccies and a mug of tea you'll be calm and have forgotten about your craving altogether.

Oh, and I started smoking again because I like it. Not because this doesn't work


Giving up

Post 2

McKay The Disorganised

I tried to give up smoking for 20 years before I hit a method that worked for me. smiley - biggrin

I had a heart attack. Luckily I recognised the symptoms and called an ambulance, thus when I had the second heart attack, which would have been fatal without medical assistance, I was already in hospital.

smiley - ok Worked for me.

smiley - erm Shame I didn't listen to my wife and children who'd been nagging me for 15 years. smiley - tit


Giving up

Post 3

Pandapig

I was 'lucky' - I had a good dose of bronchitis just before Christmas. Gives you all the fun of lung cancer without the inconvenience of dying. I've now been off the smokes for over 4 months (after 20 a day for over 20 years) and haven't felt any real cravings for a while smiley - ok

Now, if I could just cut back on the Scotch a little...smiley - cdoublesmiley - hangover

Good luck with your health in future Mac!


Giving up

Post 4

McKay The Disorganised

Thanks.

That was in 1999, since when they been giving me 'the tablets' Thus far I've not fallen apart too much - though something is going to have to be done about the waistline !

You've broken the back of it now - just don't start thinking that "just 1 at a party won't hurt."

smiley - cheers


Giving up

Post 5

Al Symer

After decades of attempts to give up smoking, and throwing away countless cigarettes so that I could start the next day without temptation, seldom lasting more than two hours, I finally gave up with no problems and almost no cravings after making my own version of a self hypnosis tape. I included on it all the reasons for giving up - all the potential health problems, the amount it cost every year and every decade, the discomfort of craving for a cigarette when in a situation where it was not possible to smoke, and so on.
I played the tape daily when I was feeling drowsy, lying in a relaxed posture while listening to the tape in a quiet room.
I didn't stop immediately, but I did so fairly soon with no great problems and no desire to smoke, unlike the previous occasions when I had stopped for short periods.
Smoking addiction is at least ninety five percent psychological, so if you get your mind right, the physical addiction problems are minor.




Giving up

Post 6

Pandapig

Thanks Mac - fortunately I am aware of the perils of thinking 'just one won't hurt' due to a previous episode when I gave up for around 6 months but then made the mistake of thinking I could handle 'just one'. WROOONNNNGGGG! (Actually it was all my parents' fault but that's a long story smiley - biggrin )


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more