A Conversation for Adult Education

A few tips from an ex-evening class teacher

Post 1

Cati Bach

Firstly, please register! If you turn up on the first night (or later) you won't get the booklist until then.

On the subject of the booklist: if your teacher doesn't recommend a book (as in 'This book is not recommended'), there's usually a good reason - often it's because it's either the wrong standard or just downright wrong!

Please take a notebook and pen/pencil to your first class. Be prepared for the first lesson to be on general topics (because some students might not have registered before then...)

If you're taking an academic subject - especially an 'A' Level - in one year, the course will be intensive and you may not be able to discuss topics as much as you would like to. Hopefully your tutor will talk over these topics in the coffee break - or better - my class used to adjourn to the pub afterwards where we could carry on the discussions. If you are taking an 'A' level, there will be a lot of written homework and additional reading. My students were recommended to do at least 7 hours homework a week (hey, you can read in your lunchtime!)

Need I add - be very careful when depending on Internet sites for information. Some sites are not - er - well researched; always doublecheck the information.

Finally, a plea from the heart - your tutor (or the centre) may not allow food or drink in the classroom. If food or drink IS allowed, be aware that crisps are very noisy - and ox-tail soup is downrigh off-putting (especially if your tutor has one arm raised above head height to write on the board!)

Most importantly - enjoy. No learning is ever wasted.


A few tips from an ex-evening class teacher

Post 2

Moth

Thanks for the info, I'm returning to full time education after 35 years !!!
At the open day I was aware of how little I knew about educational life and it's terminologies.
I don't begin until the new year so I've got some time to gather information. Hopefully


A few tips from an ex-evening class teacher

Post 3

Cati Bach

Moth, best of luck! Seriously, though, you'll love it. Tutors love 'mature' students: because they've seen the real world (she says, expecting to be shot down in flames) older students tend to bring a practical sense to their classes.
I was 38 when I went to university for the second time round - I studied performing arts the first time round, and had a complete career change 20 years later and studied law. I'm now 49 and reading for a Master's in law by distance learning. Hard work but fun and very rewarding.
That's not by way of showing off, but if I can do it, anyone can. All you need is heart. Who'd have ever thought an ex-hoofer could have this sort of career change?
Let me know how you get on - you can always leave a message on my space. As an ex-tutor, I have loads of Useful Tips on How To Succeed!
smiley - blackcat


A few tips from an ex-evening class teacher

Post 4

Moth

Cati Bach
No I think you're right about mature students, as long as we haven't descended into cynism smiley - biggrin.
Well I'm chosing to believe it is right to give myself some gumption.
I'm doing a Creative Studies in English, MA and very exicited at the prospect, but biding time until September.
Like a child waiting for Christmas ! It's not coming quickly enough.
I'm trying to read as many books as possible (no hardship - a luxury) especially the any my tutors may have written.
I'm treading water at the moment any tips on advance preparation would be valuable
Thank you
Moth


A few tips from an ex-evening class teacher

Post 5

Cati Bach

I think you're doing exactly the right thing: just read - as much and as widely as you can. Even if you decide the book you're reading is 'poor', you can still get a lot out of it by analysing why it doesn't work.
If you can find academic journals in your subject, so much the better.
My law school used to share our JCR with Lit students, and we were so envious that whilst we were slogging away over obscure bits of Lord Denning, they had their feet up, with a cup of tea, a plate of biscuits and a copy of 'Dracula'!

smiley - blackcat


A few tips from an ex-evening class teacher

Post 6

Moth

"they had their feet up, with a cup of tea, a plate of biscuits and a copy of 'Dracula'!"
Now you're talking my language smiley - biggrin


A few tips from an ex-evening class teacher

Post 7

Cati Bach

See? I said you'd enjoy it!

smiley - blackcat


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more