A Conversation for Fears and Phobias and How to Deal with Them

Crowds

Post 1

Runescribe

Crowds. I hate crowds. Crowded shops, rooms, buses, anywhere. You can't move around and everywhere you look there's a person and there's no way out...stop it, Changeling, you're alright...And there you have a perfect example of how I tend to deal with it. I remind myself I'm being irrational, take a tight grip on myself and try not to panic.

I suspect that a large part of this phobia is due to being very badly bullied at school. I spent four years surrounded by hostile crowds, and now I consider all crowds to be dangerous.


Crowds

Post 2

palestrawberrygirl

I'm not sure why I have a fear of crowds, I just know that I do. Crowds make me feel VERY uncomfortable. They make me feel totally out of control and vulnerable. My head clouds and all I can think is, 'Get out, get out, must get out...'

Usually I deal with the situation by moving to the very edge of the crowd as quickly as possible, if I can't remove myself completely from the situation. I also try to make myself as small as possible so there's less chances of people touching me. If I'm with someone, I tend to grab onto either their hand, arm, or their clothing, as we're walking through the crowd...

If I'm exposed to a crowded situation too long, I begin to find it hard to breath, and have almost completely shut down before. I've got a better handle on it now than I did I few years ago, so it never gets this bad anymore.


Crowds

Post 3

Runescribe

Hmm, when I'm in a crowd I hate being touched even by people I trust. I get the same inability to think, though. I wonder why I react to it differently?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more