A Conversation for Tips on How to Live in a Shared Household

Keeping the distance

Post 1

Dr Hell

From experience:

OK, you live together and share the same bathroom. Many 'newbies' forget that the other folks are not their parents, brothers or sisters not even best friends. Keeping a certain distance is essential. The most annoying thing about some newbies is that they can be over-enthusiastic and over-expecting.

It's not like you can't become great friends, but it's only an option.

HELL


Keeping the distance

Post 2

TD Maxwell

Of course, the same is true for the other side. Even if the existing room mates aren't that close have already formed their group dynamic. They will have a short hand when communicating with each other that comes from their own shared experiences. Your newbie feels like an outsider, even if you treat him/her/it like you treat everyone else.

-e-


Keeping the distance

Post 3

Dr Hell

Sure, vice versa is also true, but normally people have been newbies at some point, so they might remember to be nice and understanding...

HELL


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more