A Conversation for Diet Coke

caramel?

Post 1

Researcher 216745

Hmmm... it does not contain any carbohydrates, but it does contain caramel coloring?
Could someone with a degree in chemistry please explain to me how this is possible?


caramel?

Post 2

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

It's caramel *coloring*, not caramel itself. Therein would be the carbohydrate and caloric difference, methinks.


caramel?

Post 3

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

It's caramel *coloring*, not caramel itself. Therein would be the carbohydrate and caloric difference, methinks.


caramel?

Post 4

Sea Change

Our Food and Drug Administration is partially beholden to commercial interests. Therefore, for any given serving size the manufacturer cares to claim (and they are allowed to claim any just about size they like), if there's less than .5 g of caffiene or .5 Kcal of any ingredient you claim is 'not there', you can say there isn't any.

Soda companies used to often claim that a 12oz, non-resealable can of cola had an 8 oz serving size, although this has been corrected. The 20oz (541 ml) plastic bottle, also a common selling item at convenience stores, still claims 8 oz is a 'serving'. Presumably this is allowed as you could screw the cap back on to save it for later, and allow the remainder to get warm....

Ostensibly a diet Coke in one of these bottles could have even more calores (still a small amount) than that in a can.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more