A Conversation for Isle of Wight Shipwrecks: 'HMS Eurydice'

HMS Eurydice

Post 1

HMSEurydice

I have a shell which was found on board the wreck of HMS Eurydice on August 17th 1878 by F. G. Sheppard. It is displayed in a case containing a stuffed red squirrel - this belonged to my grandparents. I just thought this might be of interest.


HMS Eurydice

Post 2

Bluebottle

Thanks - that is very quirky and definately worth knowing. What type of shell is it, and I assume the red squirrel wasn't onboard the ship?

<BB<


HMS Eurydice

Post 3

val

Hi, a bit late in replying, but the shell is a 'conch' type, about 5" x 4", so presumably being brought from the west indies as a souvenir. The squirrel was preserved by F Artlett, Carver and Gilder, Picture Frame Manufacturer, and Preserver of Birds, Beasts etc of Commercial Road, Landport. I'm glad someone found it of interest.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Isle of Wight Shipwrecks: 'HMS Eurydice'

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more