A Conversation for HMS Royal George

Royal George Cannon

Post 1

ozzilass

You note that the cannons recovered from the Royal George were melted down....so I thought you might be interested in this piece from the Sydney Morning Herald in October of 1835.

"A handsome cannon, a 32-pounder, which was raised by means of the diving-bell from the hull of the Royal George, at Spithead, and which formed part of the armament of that noble and ill-fated vessel, has arrived at the Tower, and is placed on the wharf for the inspection of the public, who flock in crowds to take a view of it. Several parts of the gun are incrusted with sand and limestone, but the metal is not corroded in its ornamental and most prominent parts. The Royal arms of England appear in two of its compartments, in an excellent state of preservation. Near the touchbole is the following inscription “A Schalch – fecit, 1748”. This piece is to be deposited in the Royal Armoury as a relic."


Royal George Cannon

Post 2

Bluebottle

Sydney, Australia...?

That's quite a journey it took - do you know if it is still there?

<BB<


Royal George Cannon

Post 3

silversalvor

It may be of interest that in June last year I visited the Woolwich Arsenal and on the lawn there is a small bronze field gun made by A.SCHALCH IN 1748. The notice states that it was recovered from the Royal George wreck by diving bell in 1835 (probably by the Deanes).
The gun is part of the collection of the Royal Artillery Museum, and it is numbered 2/46. The notice states it is on loan to Berkeley Homes who mounted it in its present position.
The notice states that the GR mounted with a crown stands for the Royal George wreck, this is wrong as the crest is that of George the second. A further mistake is the statement that the M on the breech is that of the Duke of Marlborough, it is in fact that of John, the second Duke Of Montague, who was the Master Of the Ordinance at that time.
The gun is a 12 pounder, and an identical gun, also cast in 1748 was recovered from the Indiaman Dodington wrecked in Algoa bay in 1755. I would appreciate comments. MALCOLM TURNER Port Elizabeth South Africa


Royal George Cannon

Post 4

Bluebottle

Thanks for letting us know - if I visit Woolwich Aresnal I'll have to look out for that.

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for HMS Royal George

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more