A Conversation for Recording Techniques - Digital versus Analogue

dynamic range

Post 1

Researcher 226585

I've enjoyed reading your article,which I think should be clear to people without any kind of knowledge,whilst not sounding like talking to little children.(after all it's quite a topic eeeee).Being a sound engineer myself however,I have noticed that in the beginning of the piece you mention the dynamic range of the human hearing as a frequency range.The frequencyresponse of the ear is about 20-16.000 up to 19.000 Hertz,depending on age (or grinding equipment you've used without protection).The dynamic range is expressed in decibels and is typically 96 dB for a recording made with a sample rate of 44k1 @ 16 bits resolution.
I hope to have informed you and lots of luck & good writing in the future.


dynamic range

Post 2

Jose Minge, Chair and Keeper of The Imperial Deafness, don't you know.

Thanx for the comments. I am relativly new to teaching and decided to try my hand at explaining a complex subject. Must say that the editors improved it tho!


dynamic range

Post 3

GTBacchus

Let me be sure I have this right. The sentence beginning, "The normal dynamic range of the human ear is 20 - 20,000Hz,..." should instead read, "The normal frequency response of the human ear is 20 - 20,000Hz..."? If that's right, then I'll just alert the editors and get it corrected.

smiley - cheers


dynamic range

Post 4

Jose Minge, Chair and Keeper of The Imperial Deafness, don't you know.

Yeah thats rightsmiley - wah


dynamic range

Post 5

GTBacchus

No worries; I've alerted the editors, and it'll be fixed within a few hours. It's a great entry, corrections or no corrections.


smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more