Turkey Curry for Christmas

1 Conversation

Turkey Curry for Christmas

A roast turkey, fresh from the oven.

For those people who celebrate Christmas Day with the traditional meal of turkey with all the trimmings, there are various ways to use up the turkey during the rest of the festive week. Here is a recipe for a meal that makes use of the scraps that are left over after you have eaten meals such as turkey salad, turkey with chips and baked beans, turkey with mashed potatoes and peas, and turkey sandwiches galore.

Ingredients

This recipe provides two good-sized portions of curry. The recipe can be scaled up - more people could be served, or extra portions could be kept in the fridge to reheat and enjoy within three days. The dish is also suitable for freezing (defrost it before reheating).

  • 50g (2 oz) roast turkey chunks
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 large carrot, quartered and sliced
  • 80g mushrooms, chopped
  • 50g frozen peas
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon of plain flour
  • Some water
  • Curry powder (to taste - 2 teaspoons is mild)
  • Salt and pepper (optional)
  • 150g (1 cup) dried rice

Method

  • Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and cook the onions and mushrooms until they start to brown. Take the pan off the heat, add the turkey, carrot and plain flour, and stir.

  • Add enough water to just cover the ingredients, then put the pan back on the heat. When the liquid starts to boil, cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat down to a simmer. Leave the pan to simmer for at least half an hour, stirring it occasionally.

  • Stir in the peas and curry powder (and any salt and pepper), then leave the pan to simmer again for 15-20 minutes (while you cook the rice).

  • Serve the turkey curry on a bed of rice, and enjoy!

Join the Q Archive

SashaQ

25.12.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88041648

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more