Renfrew's Big Case: Episode 24

1 Conversation

Renfrew's Big Case: Episode 24

Renfrew the robot with a magnifying glass.

Yes, life was unfair. Orly had been assumed "dead" because no one knew he was an android, and androids didn't have heartbeats. His speech mechanisms had broken when he fell on the bathroom floor, so he couldn't explain himself.

But he had friends who wanted to help. "Beatrice and I will exhume you and straighten everything out," said Renfrew. There was a "clunk" as his shovel hit Orly's casket. Soon the casket was lying on the grass, cushioned by a thick layer of Autumn leaves. Now it was time to get him back to civilization. "Would Internettius be able to tell us when and where Orly I was buried?" He asked Beatrice, prying open the lid.

"Probably. You'll need to find some way of paying him. He charges a lot. I assume that you aren't going to ask me to help knock over a gas station." Beatrice had a sly sense of humor sometimes.

"Wouldn't all the gas escape?"

Beatrice rolled her eyes. "What's your Plan B, then?" she asked.

"Sigismund's credit card. He said I could use it in an emergency. Orly was his best friend, so this counts."

Internettius only charged $8.00 for telling Renfrew that Orly I was buried in Pelmherst Cemetery on October 25, 2010.

The trouble was, Renfrew already knew which cemetery to look in. But which gravesite was he buried in? It cost $100.00 more to get that information. "Orly I was buried one month before Sigismund moved into condo #9, so he never met the flesh-and-blood Orly," Renfrew exclaimed. "On the other hand, the people who carved the headstone for Orly II knew there was an Orly I."

Beatrice decided to intervene. She coaxed Internettius into revealing who owned Orly's condo for the low price of $15.00. The answer was: Risingstar Beneficial Trust.

"Beatrice, Renfrew, what are you doing here?" said a familiar voice.

"I might ask the same about you, Betty," Beatrice said in a cool voice. "I won't ask how you traced us here, just why. Do you have that much of a crush on Renfrew?"

"I asked first," Betty said, setting her lacy butt on a mossy stone.

"We're giving Orly II a second chance at life," Renfrew explained. Look in the coffin. There he is."

Betty wasn't sure Orly was worth resurrecting, but she helped the others pull him out and carry him back to Androids R We for evaluation. Curlew estimated that it would cost $75.00 to repair Orly. "Who is going to pick up the tab?"

"Sigismund, though he doesn't know it yet," Renfrew said, handing the credit card to Curlew.

"Ziggy will be surprised," Curlew observed, "but not unhappy to have Orly back."

Post Novella Project 2022/2023 Archive

Paulh

01.05.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88026726

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more