Create April 2021 Challenge: Can't See the Wood (Forest) for the Trees

0 Conversations

Create April 2021 Challenge: Can't See the Wood (Forest) for the Trees

Create Challenge April 2021 by Freewayriding

Can't see the wood/forest for the trees?

Sir Thomas More, 1533:

And as he myght tell vs, that of Poules chyrch we may well se the stones, but we can not se the chyrce. And then we may well tell hym agayne, that he can not se the wood for the trees.

This phrase has been around for centuries, dwelling on detail is not a modern problem, by focussing on detail you lose perspective and miss what is important.

Have you ever obsessed over the minute details of any project, and lost sight of the bigger picture?

Perhaps you've lovingly crafted something, perfected the detail, only to realize it won't fit through the door of the room it was designed to compliment?

Maybe you're like John Wood, the Elder, planting little saplings to decorate his beautiful architecture in Bath, England. Nice little detail, but years later, the saplings grew so much they blocked the views from the buildings!

Or maybe you think the small details are sometimes more important than the whole? One wildflower growing in a concrete car park would fit this perspective.

This month, tell us whether you can see the wood/forest for the trees.

Do you prefer the fine details or the wider picture?

Send us photos or artwork, look at how each element adds (or subtracts) from the scene. Or go in for the fine detail, show us what you think is most important.

Write an Entry for the Guide, or send us a story or write a review, where the small details are vital to the main plot.

The devil's in the details1!

Create Challenge Archive

Create Team

1Or, as the Germans would have it, God is.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88017861

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more