Giant Viper's Whatsit

1 Conversation

Giant Viper's Whatsit

Echium Pininana by Cactuscafe

Guest description by Post Editor: Cactuscafe said, 'So this has been the summer of the Echium Pininana, The Giant Viper's Bugloss. I've been cycling around looking at them. Every two years they sprout these huge towers. I'm obsessed with them. Its like Gulliver's Travels. Or the saguaro cactus. They alter your sense of perspective.'

She added, 'That's not the official h2g2 intro. You have to write that, haha.' O-kay…

So I look at the photos. I have never seen anything like these absurd plants. Seriously. Giant viper's bugloss? Does 'giant' refer to the plant, or the viper? What kind of viper? Is that 'bugloss' as in 'bugle', or 'bug'? In other words, what the…?

Apparently, these monster plants, which I would certainly include in my next low-budget science fiction movie to ensure that everybody believed we were really on another planet, in fact belong to the Canary Islands. English people have planted them in their botanical gardens. Of course they have. Because moving plants around is fun.

I found them in the Invasive Plant Atlas of the US. They've been planted in California, and they turned out to be a menace, like those lovely asparagus ferns which look so cool in your office in chilly Philadelphia, but which break through roofs in sunny Florida. Recommendation: read up on your houseplants before you go hog-wild.

So there you are: an official, well-informed take on the Giant Viper's Bugloss. Not happy? Go read the effusive gardening instructions.

Giant viper's buglossGiant viper's bugloss
Café Dreams Archive

Cactuscafe

07.12.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88007420

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more