A Conversation for A Brief History of Voting Procedures in the United States - Rum and Pregnant Chads

Elections are handled by the states, though Congress may pass laws

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The Constitution says:" The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators."

Note that *Congress* may pass laws about this, but the President doesn't make laws. So, there may be (and are) some differences from one state to another, and from one era to another, but the power to influence election results does not rest with the President acting alone.

(I will probably cross-post this into a thread about the recent riot in Washington, D.C. )

I enjoyed the idea of George Washington trying to get on the good side of voters by providing good drinks and food. smiley - ok Washington and his people may have spelled words differently than we do. Nowadays, I have the excuse of typos for my bad spelling smiley - blush.


Key: Complain about this post

Elections are handled by the states, though Congress may pass laws

More Conversations for A Brief History of Voting Procedures in the United States - Rum and Pregnant Chads

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more