Writing Right with Dmitri: Write Your Own

1 Conversation

Writing Right with Dmitri: Write Your Own

Editor at work.

Getting bored with what's on television/Netflix/your DVD shelf?

Write your own script!

Scene: A spaceship orbiting a distant gas giant.
Captain Taggart
Bridge to Engine Room. Taffy, we need more power!
Chief Engineer Taffy Welsh (on intercom)
Captain, you're in parking orbit. The planet's doing all the work.
Captain Taggart (pounding armrest)
That's easy for you to say! My lunch is late, and the steward says the microwave's on slowdown!
Chief Engineer Taffy Welsh (sarcastically)
We'll see what the hamsters can do.

See? This is already better than what you watched last night.

Here's an idea: look out your window. Make up a story beginning with what you see.

Example:

A towhee, three red-headed sparrows, a young cardinal, and a robin all flitted in and out of the bushes in a small-town yard. They were chirping angrily. You didn't need to speak Bird to know what they were saying to each other:

'Bleep. Bleep, bleep, bleepity bleep. Why the bleep is it bleepin' snowin'?'

'Yeah, double bleep. It's 21 April, for bleep's sake. What's going on?'

'The sun is shinin'…'

'Yeah, the sun is shinin'. AND it's snowin'! What the bleep?'

'Yeah, see these red things? They're buds, weatherman. That means spring!'

'WE mean spring!'

'Yeah, it's Go-Away-Snow time, even in bleepin' western Pennsylvania!'

'Bleep, bleep, bleep.'

'Me, too.'

'You know what? I'll bet the humans did something again. Remember when they had all those atomic tests?'

'No, and you don't, either. That was sixty years ago, and birds don't live that long.'

'Parrots do.'

'You heard this from a parrot?'

'Well…no. But I might have done.'

'Maybe the snow is just Mother Nature's way of telling these bleepheads to stay inside and stop spreading that virus.'

'Maybe. As long as our local humans remember to come out and refill the feeders. All this wind and snow makes a fellow cold.'

'Yeah. Bleepin' snow!'

Okay, what's outside my window right now is pretty bizarre. FWR would have at least three zombie apocalypses going by now. Make up your own scenario. You can borrow this weather, if you like. (You don't have to give it back, honest. It's been doing stuff like this all day, and frankly, we're tired of it, us and the birds.) Or make up your own tale based on what you see.

Share it below.

And yes, there's a video.


Writing Right with Dmitri Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

11.05.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87983257

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more