Post Quiz: We Shall Overcome! Answers

0 Conversations

We Shall Overcome! Answers

The lesson of protest is that people who are organised have a louder voice.
Sometimes they change things.

Here are the answers:

  1. It started on Halloween, 1517, when a noisy monk nailed a manifesto to the church door. What appropriate name does this religious 'reformation' have? The Protestant Reformation.
  2. A 1789 Paris protest march turned violent – and gave birth to a new form of government. What date is celebrated in France, and what's it called? Bastille Day, 14 July.
  3. In 1773, angry British colonists dumped 45 tons of tea into Boston Harbour as a protest against taxes. Sounds messy, but why was the Tea Party a big deal? The tea was worth millions of pounds. Seriously: that stuff was expensive.
  4. On 2 August 1848 in Rochester, New York, Abigail Bush and some other women did something previously unheard-of in the US. What was it? They organised a women's political meeting. They spoke in public. (Very shocking.)
  5. In 1911, 80,000 people marched in New York City because they were outraged about the deaths of 146 women and girls. What had happened? The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory caught fire. Locked doors prevented escape. People wanted reform and unions. They got them.
  6. In 1930, Gandhi led 60,000 people on a 23-day march to break the law. What did they do that broke British law? Collected salt from the ocean. We are not making this up.
  7. What form of protest did Nelson Mandela organise that made 26 June 1950 significant? 'Stay at Home', a form of national labour strike.
  8. We all know that Martin Luther King made his 'I Have a Dream' speech during the August 1963 March on Washington. But what, exactly, were the protestors demanding at this event? That Congress enact legislation to secure civil rights for all Americans.
  9. We know the protestors at Tiananmen Square in Beijing wanted democratic reform. About how many people were gathered there before the tanks arrived? At least 1 million.
  10. In 1989 – 200 years and a few months after the fracas in Paris – crowds of people helped remove a hated barrier in Europe. What was it? The Berlin Wall.

Turn on your news or check out your Twitter feed. Who's protesting what today? Remember, it's a tradition by now.

Artwork depicting a nuclear protester, pushing an old-fashioned pram.
Make babies, not nukes.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

16.07.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87913722

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more