Join the Q: Birdwatching at the Edge of the Earth

1 Conversation

Join the Q logo.

Join the Q: Birdwatching at the Edge of the Earth

Recently I went to a Raptorwatch event on the Wirral, when birds of prey of various kinds were expected to gather because it was high tide on the River Dee.

The weather wasn't the best, as it was cold and damp, but the mist did make the scene very atmospheric. I felt as though I was standing at the edge of the world, as there was nothing in front of me except a featureless grey cloud – the usual view across to Wales no longer existed.

At first there was nothing, just silence, but then as the tide water crept over the marshes, some birds started to flock. Not raptors as expected, but still fascinating to watch as they swooped through the air.

I watched their dance for five minutes, and then spotted a lone bird soaring overhead. A raptor had appeared! The Marsh Harrier hovered over the boggy ground for a couple of minutes, looking out for prey, then it dropped down and disappeared from view.

I took a break for lunch then, so I could warm up before seeing what I could see when the tide started to ebb. The break paid off, as when I went back to my marshside vantage point, many more birds had appeared, including numerous gulls and crows. I saw a Little Egret, a Cattle Egret and a Grey Heron. I even a Short-Eared Owl, another raptor.

Thus my first Raptorwatch was very successful – I enjoyed seeing such a variety of birds, and in particular I was most impressed that I saw two birds of prey that I had never seen before!

Grey HeronShort-eared Owl
Little EgretCattle Egret
Marsh HarrierBirds flocking
Edge of the WorldEdge of the World

Join the Q Archive

SashaQ

30.04.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87908773

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more