Join the Q: More Multimedia Musing

0 Conversations

Join the Q logo.

Join the Q: More Multimedia Musing

A virtual image of a small cat atop a blue globe

A few weeks ago, I decided to experiment with the Paint 3D app on my computer, which is like a feeble version of the Blender program that Asteroid Lil makes excellent use of.

My first attempt at creating a 3D picture was highly surreal and somewhat unsatisfying as I couldn't do what I had in mind. Thus I felt the need to have another go to see if I could do better when starting from a blank canvas rather than a preconfigured model.

First I picked a sphere, because I like a nice smooth geometric shape. Fascinatingly, it appeared like a glass marble with swirls inside so I was pleased with that as a starting point.

Next I added a basic cat. Yet again, it appeared hovering randomly next to the sphere, but somehow I managed to find a way to wrestle it into position so it could stand on top of (and not inside) its little world.

Finally I found the paintbox so I could turn the basic cat into something less basic. Another quirk of the program appeared when I was able to paint one side of the cat's leg but when I turned it round to paint the other side, the paint turned into a blob that hovered in front of the cat. Thankfully for my purposes I only needed to pick one camera angle to create a picture for h2g2, so it doesn't matter that the cat is only half-realised!

Another challenge arose when I tried to add eyes to my cat. I drew an ellipse, but the ellipse decided to go inside the cat instead of on the face. Luckily, resizing the ellipse enabled enough paint to show through to the front, so I was able to complete the cat's features successfully.

So, the result of my second experiment is again highly surreal, but overall much more satisfying!

Join the Q Archive

SashaQ

26.03.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87906621

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more