The Post Quiz: Naming Utopia - Answers

0 Conversations

Naming Utopia: Answers

Okay, these place names are weird. But aren't the stories fun?

  1. The first Santa Fe, Indiana, snapped up the name. What did the second Santa Fe decide to call itself in 1854?
    • Santa Claus. (It was near Christmas.)
  2. In 1814, the Pennsylvania town of Cross Keys, in Amish country, changed its name. What is the 'new' name?
    • Intercourse. (And nobody knows why, or will tell.)
  3. The community that grew up around Ryan's mining camp in Oregon was so remote, most people thought you'd be mad to go and live there. What became the official name?
    • Idiotville. (Must be a popular postmark.)
  4. A postmaster in Kentucky wanted a number for his town's name because it was easier to write. How did he come up with the town name 88?
    • He counted the change in his pocket. (And had 88 cents.)
  5. Who or what is Ding Dong, Texas named for?
    • The sign on the Bell family's shop. (The bells said, 'Ding, dong.')
  6. This one's Canadian. What is Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!, Quebec, noted for, besides having two exclamation points?
    • A lake whose sudden appearance startles visitors. (A 'haha' in French. Which makes way more sense that a haha in English.)
  7. Hot Coffee, Mississippi, is on Highway 532. Yes, it was named because LJ Davis' restaurant (est.1870) served the best hot coffee in the region. Davis wouldn't put cream in his coffee because it 'ruined the taste'. What did he use for sweetener?
    • Molasses drippings. (Don't knock it till you've tried it.)
  8. The residents of Two Egg, Florida, refuse to agree on exactly where the town got its name. (It has something to do with the Depression and exchanging eggs for store goods, but don't get them started.) Besides the weird name and the fact that Faye Dunaway grew up down the road from there, what is Two Egg famous for?
    • Sightings of the Two Egg Stump Jumper, a 'mini-Bigfoot'. (Ask Florida Sailor if he's seen it.)
  9. Rabbit Hash, Kentucky, was so named because of a dietary staple of early residents. What is remarkable about Rabbit Hash's mayor?
    • The mayor has always been a canine. (Unlike many other mayors, these mayors tend to raise money for the community. The first mayor, Goofy Borneman-Calhoun, died in office at age 16.)
  10. What famous person came from Glen Campbell, Pennsylvania?
    • Leaping Mike Menosky. (b.1894, a baseball great.)

Want equal time for place names from your country? Make up the quiz, and we will publish it in the h2g2 Post .

McLemoresville, Tennessee
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

22.05.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87889153

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more