Speedy Salmon and Broccoli Pasta Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Speedy Salmon and Broccoli Pasta

0 Conversations

There are many varieties of pasta that can be found in shops, and many varieties of sauce in jars that you can put with them for a quick and easy meal. However, if you feel a bit more adventurous and decide to make your own sauce (or want to make a sauce without added preservatives, natural or otherwise), here is a recipe that you won't find in a jar. It has tasty flavour but is relatively straightforward to prepare1, plus it is all cooked in one pan so there's not too much washing up to do afterwards.

This recipe is enough for two generous portions or three smaller ones.

Equipment

  • Large saucepan
  • Wooden spoon
  • Teaspoon
  • Sharp knife or kitchen scissors
  • Can opener
  • Kitchen scales

Ingredients

  • 200g pasta - conchiglie (shells) are particularly good, but you could use other types, such as farfalle (bowties) or fusilli (spirals)
  • Small carton (150-175g) of natural yoghurt
  • 80-100g broccoli (calabrese) florets2
  • Small tin of red salmon (100g), drained
  • 6 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs
  • 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
  • Black pepper to taste

Method

  1. Boil some water in the pan and add the pasta. Bring the water back to the boil, then turn the heat down slightly. Leave the pasta to simmer, stirring it occasionally.

  2. The pasta is ready when it is al dente (so it is cooked through but firm to the bite) - this usually takes about eight minutes, but you should check the instructions on the packaging for the pasta you chose. 4-5 minutes before the pasta will be ready, add the broccoli florets to the pan with the pasta. Bring the water back to the boil and continue simmering for the 4-5 minutes.

  3. Drain the water from the pan.

  4. Stir in the salmon, yoghurt, herbs, garlic and pepper.

  5. Ensure the mixture is hot, and then serve the meal.

Salt and pepper should be available on the table in case anyone wants to add more than is already in the dish3.

This recipe uses a mixture of fresh ingredients and store cupboard items for ease of preparation. Once you have mastered it, you could take it to the next level by using fresh garlic and herbs with poached or pan-fried salmon4.

If you're only wanting a meal for one, the other portion(s) can be transferred to an airtight container when it has cooled. Store it in the fridge and it can either be eaten as chilled pasta, or you can reheat it in the microwave to enjoy on the following days too. The dish is also suitable for freezing. You can serve it on its own, or with a side salad.

1 This Researcher is a novice cook and enjoyed making this meal.2This Researcher cuts the florets off a small head of broccoli using scissors, but a knife will do the same job.3Salt is not included as a separate ingredient, but there will be some salt in the salmon, for example - that may be sufficient for some people, but other people may prefer to add more.4This Researcher is not at that level yet.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A87874870

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more