The Post Quiz: Surprisingly Cheap Real Estate

0 Conversations

You have a time machine. You are looking for a real estate bargain. Where do you go?

The Post Quiz: Surprisingly Cheap Real Estate

Schmitzsäule inscription

Property traders the world over say the same thing: what matter is 'location, location, location'. But that's not entirely true. Some places are valuable because of their provenance – something famous happened there. They might be really valuable tracts of land. But if you had a time machine, you could make a killing, because some of these priceless sites used to go for a song. (Or a verse and a chorus.)

Guess when these places were cheap to own.

  1. What did the Roman Army have to do with the founding of Cologne?
  2. How much did Peter Minuit pay the Lenape Indians for Manhattan Island in 1624?
  3. Talk about bargains: what did the British trade the Dutch for Manhattan in 1664?
  4. More Dutch land acquisition: what in the world is a polder?
  5. What did Jefferson pay Napoleon for the Louisiana Territory in 1803?
  6. What did the US pay for the Philippines in 1898?
  7. How much did the land for Washington, DC, cost the federal government?
  8. Who did the US buy Alaska from?
  9. If you can't buy a city, make one out of patchwork. Why did people originally move to the 117 islands of Venice?
  10. And now a modern real estate conundrum: why are the Maldive Islanders considering moving the entire population to Australia?

Think you got all that? Click on the picture below for answers.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

30.03.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87850948

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more