Digital Cameras. - The Digital Pocket Camera

1 Conversation

Digital Cameras. The Digital Pocket Camera.*


Digital Pocket Cameras

What are Digital Pocket Cameras? They are a simple single lens camera most do not even provide a viewfinder. If they do its a supplementary viewing lens that gives you an idea of your composition. However the image is usually displayed on the screen on the back of the camera. Fun and easy to use simple controls and with automatic focus and exposure, just point and shoot. However this lens is not interchangeable and most do not have a motorized or manual zoom lens*, but there is normally a good digital zoom of some sort enabling the camera to cope with huge variety of photographic situations, ranging from a wide angle to a good medium telephoto. This gives the user a good scope at a very reasonable price.

The operation is very simple the lens simply projects the image on to the camera's sensor. The digital zoom or any effect set by the user is applied by the cameras electronics, and the picture is created by a click of the shutter.

The problem with type of system is the photographer who unable to see a true image in the viewfinder has to take care when the composing the image. A proper lens eye view is only possible by viewing the rear screen it does provides a very good view of the subject. There are two problems though, the first is in bright sunlight you will find it very difficult to see the screen at all. The second is the reverse, at night you can not see the subject as the very bright screen will often dazzle you and you can not see the subject. Useful tip If you have experienced problem try this simple remedy, focus and compose with one eye closed, after the shot you can open both eyes, one of which is night adjusted.

There is no array of lenses and accessories or attachments that are available to the SLR user. The perhaps a nice case* and a mini tripod.

The Digital Pocket Cameras is capable of producing superb results, it normally has a very good imaging sensor similar the more expensive and complex cameras, it is the lens quality that that's important. Most are good, the more spend the better they get, but consider their limitations before you buy.

The sheer variety of Digital Pocket Cameras is bewildering but quality comes at a price and the best can approach the price of a good used SLR something you should consider before you buy. Don't despair there are used bargains are out there. If you go for a pre owned camera, remember that cameras are pampered possessions so a used one is normally in excellent condition. Thought is advisable to buy from an established used camera dealer, you will normally get a warranty.

Good Points

Wherever you go Digital Pocket Cameras can always be with you.

They are a fantastic device to create a pictorial diary. Discrete and robust they are an ideal first camera for older children to carry safely. Brilliant for hikers, cyclists and motorcyclists due to their ease of use and compact nature.

Use the strap that comes with the camera, as they are very easy to drop.

And as in the bridge cameras many the better Digital Pocket Cameras are commonly programmed with some basic photographic filter modes and techniques such as the capability to create black and white images.

As as they are so easy to use they could easily encourage lazy photography, taking photos of everything you see with little thought of the results. That is no problem as with a little care a novice can achieve good results from the start. A talented photographer can get some excellent results. But as with all cameras remember try and "see" the photograph in your mind's eye before you pick up the camera. All this means you will get good results and not find yourself rapidly outgrowing this type of camera. Don't point the camera at the sun it may cause all sorts of over exposure problems, and spoil your photographs.

Quirks

Some have video capability. This a mixed blessing as the results are often poor. Things like using a tripod help filming and preventing blurred and unstable images.

Even small memory cards now can hold over 500+ images, this freedom will encourage creative experimentation, will this inevitably improve you as a photographer. Regular downloading and editing is advised to keep track of your work.

Getting prints produced can be expensive, but at least you don't have to print every image to see your results. If you take a lot of photographs it is an idea to invest in a decent home printer.

Before you purchase a Digital Pocket Camera make sure it will do all you need it to. A point to consider is despite the extra cost the benefits a basic bridge camera offers may make it worth considering. The general image quality of both is very similar, unless you buy a cheap Digital Pocket camera.

Before you purchase a Digital Pocket Cameras make sure it will do all you need it to. A point to consider is despite the extra cost the benefits a basic bridge camera offers may make it worth considering. The general image quality of both is very similar, unless you buy a cheap Digital Pocket camera.

So you have a decision to make, a Digital Pocket Cameras or a Bridge Camera. A Bridge camera will allow you the extra creative control over your photographs. This is achieved by the ability to set both the shutter speed and the aperture to create the image you want. In addition the extra zoom capability these cameras offer can very useful. Finally the ability to use extras such as photographic filters will open up a whole world of creative options.

A Digital Pocket Camera, is an excellent tool, is easy to carry ideal for travelling light, or the active user eg; walker, hiker, cyclist or riders of motorcycles and horses. Any activity where a lightweight is more suitable.

Common Features

  • Autofocus.
  • Auto exposure.
  • Auto power off.
  • Built in flash.
  • Tripod mount.
  • Rechargeable battery supplied with charger.
  • The camera will normally note the time day and date on all image details
  • Geotag on some cameras. It can be very useful if you travel a lot, and do not download very often. So do ask.

A Few Makers Of Digital Pocket Cameras Include. This list is incomplete and is only representative of the range available from non specialist stores.

  • Cannon.
  • Fuji.
  • Kodak.
  • Leica.
  • Nikon.
  • Olympus.
  • Panasonic.
  • Pentax.
  • Samsung.
  • Sony.
  • Yashica.

Important Notes

The Sensor

Instead of traditional film digital cameras have an image sensor the larger the sensor the sharper the results1, megapixels do not represent size of the sensor just the quality. Therefore if two cameras can have both have 16 megapixels check the size of the sensors, a bigger sensor equals a better image.

Important Tips

  • If the camera does not come with a case, buy good one you will never regret it. Besides giving protection the keep the dust off.
  • Buy large memory cards but not too large as you have to find your images. Several smaller ones are more useful, buy different cards from good makers so you can identify the contents.
  • Try and store on a separate HDD but file with care. It is unwise to only store on your PC it might malfunction.
  • If you take a lot of photographs edit ruthlessly delete duplicates and out of focus and file on the PC by subject, year and month, file events such as holidays, weddings etc separately.
  • The last thing to remember is keep your batteries charged finding you have on power half way through the day is to say the least frustrating. Better buy a second battery or set of batteries and carry a spare set of fully charged batteries with you.
  • Above all enjoy your photography, go at your own pace you will improve as you go, a good sign of your improvement, is you desire a better camera, always remember your digital pocket camera it taught you a lot.
1That is why to improve the quality of the image on film, professional movie and studio still film cameras were so huge. To improve the quality the physical size film (the sensor) had to be increased.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87849102

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more