The Post Quiz: Miscellaneous Useless Trivia

0 Conversations

Let's quiz you on…

Miscellaneous Useless Trivia

Two children looking at a science book

h2g2ers love weird facts. In fact, there's a popular Ask thread called 'useless facts'. The more useless the information, the more likely we are to savour it. That says something about us, but we're not saying what. We're too busy looking for more useless information.

How much of this useless information do you know?

  1. Before 1895, who always answered the phone by saying, 'Well, are you there?'
  2. What is the most common name in the world?
  3. Without looking it up, define 'lethologica'.
  4. What is the literal meaning of the word 'karaoke'?
  5. Why did the Eisenhower Administration require that one in every five miles of interstate highway be straight?
  6. What medical use did the ancient Egyptians find for crocodile dung?
  7. What is causing the University of Indiana's main library building to sink an inch every year?
  8. Elephants are the only mammals that can't do one simple thing. What is it?
  9. How far away can a human smell a skunk?
  10. Finally, this one, just for h2g2ers: a how-many-guns salute announces the birth of a British royal baby?

Think you knew them all? Click on the picture to check out the answers.

Library books on a shelf
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

17.03.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87825135

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more