Driftwood Beach and the Strange Beauty of the Trees on the Golden Isles

1 Conversation

Far-away places with evocative names…

Driftwood Beach and the Strange Beauty of the Trees on the Golden Isles

Driftwood Beach, Georgia.

Editor's note:Continuing in our travel series: This guest photo essay is by a US friend who'd like you to know more about the islands off the coast of southern Georgia. It's a weird and wonderful sort of place to live and work. I promised I'd pass this fascinating information along to h2g2ers worldwide – in return, Beth Bennett agreed to share her amazing photography with us. We thank her.

Driftwood Beach, Georgia.Driftwood Beach, Georgia.

Driftwood Beach is an eerily beautiful setting on along the north end of Jekyll Island, a member of the Golden Isles along the coast of Southern Georgia in the United States. It is often referred to as a tree graveyard. Older people on the island call it 'the roots', referring to a time before Driftwood Beach existed.

The beach has been created by a gradual erosion of the north end of the Island, killing the huge majestic oak trees that are indigenous to the area. They continue to stand and shift along the beach, creating organic sculptures that are a photographer's dream.

The Golden Isles, consisting of St. Simon's Island, Little St. Simons, Jekyll and Sea Island, are all in process of shifting south, but because the wooded area on the north end of Jekyll is by the beach, the dying trees have become part of the island topography.

The beach is a big draw for families on vacation. Children climb on the tree branches like jungle gyms, and groups pose for photos. Horseback tours and bike rentals are available.

Driftwood has also become a common wedding destination, particularly at sunset, considered by many to be romantic and representative of the timelessness of love.

Sunset at Driftwood Beach.

The live oak trees near the beach are covered in the Spanish moss that the area is known for. It hangs from the live trees, (often choking out some of the growth on the branches by blocking light) creating an atmosphere associated with Southern Gothic Literature. It is mentioned in many popular songs as well of varying genres. Two examples are folk-rock singer Gordon Lightfoot's 'Spanish Moss', and punk rock group Against Me! with a song of the same title. Both pieces identify the moss as representing the slow-paced, romanticized lifestyle of the islands and the southern United States.

Ironically, the moss is neither Spanish nor moss. It is a tillandsia, or 'air plant' in the bromeliad family of plants which includes pineapples. Historically, it has many purposes, such as stuffing for seats in early cars and bedding, and today it is used in plant arrangements and mulch. The golf resorts on the Golden Isles remove the moss to open shots and views for golfers on their courses.

The future of Jekyll Island is controlled by the Jekyll Island Authority. They have created the 65/35 Task Force, insuring that 65 percent of the island's land remains undeveloped. The Authority is determined to protect the fragile ecosystems of the Island, even including marshlands and sand dunes as part of the total land area. Their intent is for Driftwood Beach and the other attractions of the area to be kept pristine throughout any development to protect the Island's history, wildlife and sanctity.

Seascape through driftwood on Jekyll Island, Georgia.

First-Person Stories Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

19.08.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87807577

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more