A Conversation for 'The Hobbit' by JRR Tolkien

Dwarf names

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

The dwarf names are almost all straight out of a 13th Century Icelandic poem called an edda. It features a long list of dwarf names, including Dvalinn, Ori, Nori, Oinn, Bifurr, Bofurr, Bomburr, Fili, Kili, Thorinn and Dainn, as well as other dwarves which were named in The Lord of The Rings such as Fundin, Nain, Thror and Throin. The only ones of Bilbo's friends I couldn't find in the list were Dori, Gloin and Balin.


Dwarf names

Post 2

Waylander101

No-one said Dwarves weren't traditionalists where naming their children is concerned smiley - winkeye


Dwarf names

Post 3

Shadow(Keeper of fleeting thoughts and lost memories)

To get a true feeling of what Tolkien was about you need to read his other books and his Biography. The man was truely outstanding in his knowledge of early myths from all over Europe and Mediteranean.
The truely terrifing thing is that in future history his books(so completly written with languages, prehistory and myths) may become references of 'FACT' for our own Mythologies.


Dwarf names

Post 4

Recumbentman

Humans have an enormous propensity for giving credence both to authentically disavowed fictions and to inexplicable flashes in pans.

Here we have Nighthoover.


Dwarf names

Post 5

Recumbentman

Reviving this thread having come across the word Balin in the dictionary.

Hope this works F19585?thread=100569?page=1666


Dwarf names

Post 6

Recumbentman

Well it does, apart from the page number. Jump to post 16657

Another experiment: F19585?thread=100569?post=16657


Dwarf names

Post 7

Recumbentman

Nope, that doesn't do it either. Apologies.


Dwarf names

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

F19585?thread=100569&skip=16650


Dwarf names

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

F19585?thread=100569&skip=16650#p110718824


Dwarf names

Post 10

Recumbentman

Alas, both of those land me on the 'Sorry, can't find that' page.


Key: Complain about this post