A Conversation for Moderation on h2g2

Appeals Process

Post 1

swl

You state - "If a person has been moderated, there is no appeals process" but in "Registration & Moderation FAQs "http://wsogmm.h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/brunel/A77393307/#disagree you state "If you disagree with a decision made by a Moderator please follow the appeal procedure outlined in the email you receive from them."

Surely the response to "What if I disagree with a Moderator's judgement?" should be changed to "Tough Shit".


Appeals Process

Post 2

Z

Hi SWL.

In the pargagraph below it says:

In the case of forum posts, in most cases a moderators decision is extremely unlikely to be overturned, and appeals on the basis of posts failed for profanity or abuse will not be considered. However if you believe that a true mistake has been made, you can request a review by emailing [email protected] explaining your reason why you believe the post should not have been moderated in the way it was. This will be reviewed by senior members of the team and a final decision will be emailed back to you, where possible, within 7 days. Reviewed decisions will be final.


Let me check this and get back to you,


Appeals Process

Post 3

swl

Hi Z - looking at it again it's a little unclear the difference between a poster being moderated and a poster's post.

I'm not complaining about a particular decision but I'd point out that the standard moderation email doesn't actually say anything about an appeals process.


Appeals Process

Post 4

Z

Ookk. Yes, I see what you mean.

smiley - blush

If a person has received a short term ban there is no appeals process. If someone is banned for, say, 24 hours, then the ban would be over before we had the chance to deal with the appeal.

If a person received a life time ban, then there is a appeal process.

smiley - mod

In the case of an error in an individual decision to moderate a post then there is an appeals process, but it may take a while. For example we may need to get an opinion from someone who wasn't involved with the original decision.


Appeals Process

Post 5

Z

I'll check about the e mails as well.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Moderation on h2g2

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more