A Conversation for Computer Game Brain Saturation Syndrome

School shootings

Post 1

D


I myself have developed an vast interest in WW2 history after playing Red Alert.

Also, you might want to add that the Columbine school shooters made a map in Quake2 of thier school. I will get the exact detatils from the article we studied in school and post them here in early-mid January 2003.


School shootings

Post 2

Zucchini

Hmm, didn't know that! I recall that a favourite subject for custom Doom maps in the 90's was the mapper' workplace - presumably so they could pretend they were killing their co-workers and boss.
I managed to completely miss the film Bowling for Columbine :<


School shootings

Post 3

MedO

I'd be careful to draw any conclusions from this... I myself started building a CS map from our school and know several other people who did the same, though I know of nobody who actually finished it.

However, it was never a motivation for me to pretend killing teachers or something, and I was strongly opposed to the suggestion of some people that I put models of actual teachers (as hostages) in it. I often had the impression those who started mapping were a lot less dangerous than the ones who wanted to PLAY it.
Having said that, here are the reasons why I still chose to map this place:

- I went there daily and know it inside out, which made the task easier. Also I could take measures in the afternoon, when I regularly had an hour off.

- it's a big place, large and with many different ways to get from A to B, which should make it interesting to play.

- I could show it off to others at my school, because they also know and identify with that building. They were still quite impressed by the incomplete and (in my eyes) crappy version I ended up with.

- I could work together with schoolmates (two people helped me take photos for textures, though I never used most of them)

I finished school this year, but never threw the photos and measures away. Maybe I'll stil finish it some day and play it at a "reunion LAN" or something. It would certainly be fun.

MedO


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more