Babe Among the Stars: Moon Mumblings

0 Conversations

Galaxy Babe's column banner, showing a full moon and some little folk looking up at the sky

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth - Ptolemy

Moon Mumblings

Last month I mentioned the upcoming total lunar eclipse on 15 June. Unfortunately most of us in the UK were clouded out, but some lucky people were witness to it. There are many images uploaded to the photo sites and do check out the wonderful APOD photo. Luckily for those who missed it this time, there's another one coming along soon! The next total lunar eclipse is on 10 December, and people in North America, Europe, East Africa, Asia, Australia and some Pacific regions will be able to watch it (clouds permitting). When the Sun is shining on it during the night, the Moon looks like a bright flat disc to us denizens of Earth. For me, one of the best things about a lunar eclipse is that you get to see the Moon as it really is; that is, a sphere.

Two New Moons

This month there are two new moons; this doesn't happen very often as the lunar cycle lasts roughly 29.5 days, so the first new moon would have to fall on the 1st day of the month to be in with a chance of squeezing another in. July's new moons fall on the 1st and the 30th.

Comet Chatter

There is a comet, which has been labelled C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS1), currently positioned just beyond the orbit of Jupiter, heading our way. Astronomers think that the comet's path will take it to within 0.4 AU (about the same as Mercury's distance from the Sun). It is thought that the comet originated from the Oort Cloud: it is not a periodic (regular) comet like the famous one named after Halley. I imagine there was some kind of collision in the Oort Cloud and this particular 'dirty snowball' got a kick which sent it our way. It will take Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) until 2013 to reach the inner Solar System (it may have been dubbed a more user-friendly name by then). As to when the comet will become a naked-eye viewing object remains anyone's guess. I'll try and keep you posted.

The comet has an orbit that is close to parabolic, meaning that this may be the first time it will ever come close to the sun, and that it may never return.

– Astronomer Richard Wainscoat of the University of Hawaii

Shooting Star Spotting

In July the main meteor shower is the Delta Aquarids, but historically it's not a great performance. A more likely event when you'll see at least some 'shooting stars' every few minutes (depending on the weather and viewing conditions) is next month when the main part of the Perseids' shower is due. The Perseid meteor shower actually commences as early as 23 July when you might see one shooting star each hour, slowly building up to five Perseids an hour by the end of the month. By 10 August the count could be ten per hour! The Perseid peak (has been known to be one-a-minute) is the main event of the year for some astronomers, who congregate at a dark sky viewing area with others of the same ilk, like the local astronomy club. I am a member of the Cleethorpes and District Astronomy Society and we have a 'Shooting Star Party' on Perseid Peak night at the home of one of the members who lives out in the country away from the glare of light pollution.

July 2011 Diary Dates

  • 01: New Moon
  • 03: Mercury 5° north of Moon
  • 04: Brand new sliver moon hangs below Regulus (alpha Leonis)
  • 07: The Moon, Saturn and Spica (alpha Virginis) form a triangle
  • 15: Full Moon (the Buck Moon, the Hay Moon, the Crane Moon or the Summer Moon)
  • 23: Perseid meteor shower begins
  • 24 (morning): Jupiter 5° south of Moon
  • 26: Moon positioned between 'Eye of the Bull' Aldebaran and The Pleiades star cluster in Taurus
  • 28-9: Delta Aquarids meteor shower maximum
  • 30: New Moon

  • Chat about your celestial observances at the H2G2 Astronomy Society. Comment on anything in this edition of Babe Among the Stars by starting a new conversation below.

Babe Among the Stars Archive

Galaxy Babe

27.06.11 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1PANSTARRS stands for Panoramic Survey Telescope and Rapid Response System, an automatic telescope in Hawaii specifically designed to locate and track potentially threatening NEOs (near Earth objects).

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A85872531

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more