A Conversation for Jellied Eels

Oy! Someone's eaten some of this!

Post 1

Pimms

Nice entry Mina smiley - ok

In the editing though you appear to have lost some of the detail I rememembr from the PR thread, but strangely retained the EG links (eg to Wing Yips and Leeches)smiley - erm *I* know why they were linked, but I imagine a less familiar browser would be a little disconcerted.

Pimms smiley - smiley


Oy! Someone's eaten some of this!

Post 2

Baron Grim

I was really enjoying this entry until I got to the uncited quote at the end and that dangling last sentence. I think it needs a re-edit.


Oy! Someone's eaten some of this!

Post 3

Mina

I'm not sure what the link to leeches is doing there. smiley - erm I can only assume it's a typo!

We took the recipe out because it's all over the internet so didn't need to be copied again here.

The quote doesn't have a name on it because it's h2g2 style to credit in the Researcher list, rather than on the entry.

That last sentance is the conclusion, which is why it's at the end, it's bringing us up to the present.

Thanks for reading!


Oy! Someone's eaten some of this!

Post 4

Baron Grim

I've been quoted like that in another entry and didn't mind my name not being directly linked. But it did say something like "As one researcher recalls:"

There's nothing technically wrong with that or with a single sentence paragraph conclusion... it just seemed a little awkward to me. Personal taste I guess.

Anyway, I did enjoy it and I'm almost willing to give Jellied Eels a try if I ever get a chance. I've eaten haggis, raw oysters, menudo, pickled octopus, kim chi, crawfish, mackerel sushi smiley - yuk and several other things most people would rather not. So, what the heck, I'd give it a try. smiley - cheers


Oy! Someone's eaten some of this!

Post 5

pailaway - (an utterly gratuitous link in the evolutionary chain)

I thoroughly enjoyed this entry - by far more than I would have enjoyed the actual subject of it. Some dishes are best eaten when you're pickled, I guess. smiley - cdouble


Oy! Someone's eaten some of this!

Post 6

Mina

I'd have changed it if you'd said that in PR. smiley - whistlesmiley - winkeye

Glad you liked it pailaway! I wasn't brave enough to try them at my brother's wedding a couple of years ago. smiley - yuk And neither was he!


Oy! Someone's eaten some of this!

Post 7

scorp

I thoroughly enjoyed this entry. Although I have never tried jellied eels; and don't think I will, I well remember Tubby Isaacs'. My Husband was a heavy goods driver for many many years; and I used to travel around with him from time to time. We often stayed in London and used to make a point of going to Tubby's for a pint of whelks or cockles. I'd never seen anything served in a pint pot before. I saw him on a television documentary a few years ago.

Sorry, back to the entry. It's great.

Scorpiosmiley - witch


Oy! Someone's eaten some of this!

Post 8

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

Tried jellied eels some years ago on a dog track in Birmingham;
quite delicious but I felt a tad queasy afterwards.
However, I reckon raw tripe is the real "stomach turner".

Waiter ... a smiley - cake and a smiley - bubbly please!


Oy! Someone's eaten some of this!

Post 9

nottuppence

oh god I can still see us five kids sat round the table of a Saturday trying to stuff this bloody stuff (tripe) into anything that would hold it until wecould get up nd go to the toilet. It would have had a better use TO SOLE SHOES WITH.











Oy! Someone's eaten some of this!

Post 10

scorp

I well remember SS used to love tripe with salt, pepper and vinegar on a fairly regular basis. Then one day, he had to make a delivery to the abbatoir where they were preparing it; and he's never touched it since.


Oy! Someone's eaten some of this!

Post 11

nottuppence

some how serious conversation and jellied eels and tripe just dont go to-gether. Anybody out there who remembers the pie and mash shop down The Walk or East Lane. I would love to have the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ex Lambethian.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Jellied Eels

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more