Major League Baseball - American League

2 Conversations

Major League Baseball, or MLB as it is sometimes referred to, is the main grouping of baseball teams in Canada and the United States. There are 30 teams; The American League teams listed here along with a brief explanation of the team's name. The American League was formed in 1901.
Anaheim: The Angels. Angels are winged creatures that exist in some religions. Originally called the California Angels and located in LA. Now play at Edison Field.
Baltimore: The Orioles. Orioles are orange and black birds. Originally known as the Saint Louis Browns, they moved to Baltimore in 1954. They play in Oriole Park.
Boston: The Red Sox. Red is the colour of strawberries, and Sox is a phonetic variation of socks, a type of footwear worn beneath shoes. The Red Sox play in Fenway Park.
Chicago: The White Sox. White is the colour of clouds. Sox (see Boston). One of the first American league teams franchised in St. Paul Minnesota, moved to Chicago and played it's first official game in 1901. The White Sox play at Comiskey Park.
Cincinnati: The Reds. As aforementioned, red is the colour of strawberries. But Reds is also a general term (somewhat derogatory) for Native Americans (or communists). Actually the name originates from the Cincinnati Red Stockings, but the stockings was dropped to decrease confusion with the Red Sox. They play at Great American Ball Park.
Cleveland: The Indians. Indians are really people from India, but this refers to the name given to the Native Americans by Christopher Columbus when he reached the West Indies. Originally called the Naps, it was changed in 1915. They play in Jacob's Field.
Detroit: The Tigers. Tigers are orange animals with black stripes, native to Africa and Asia. They play at Comerica Park.
Kansas City: The Royals. Describes royalty (i.e., Kings and Queens) or the certain shade of blue which is found on their uniforms. They play at Kauffman Stadium.
Minnesota: The Twins. Twins are two people who look alike. Comes from the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and Saint Paul) which is the general area in which they are located. Originally known as the Washington Senators, they moved to Minnesota in 1961. They play at the Metrodome.
New York: The Yankees. A nickname for Americans. The North side in the American Civil War. Originally known as the Highlanders, the name was changed in 1913. They play at Yankee Stadium.
Oakland: The Athletics. A grouping of sports one may participate in. Also known as the A's. Originally in Philadelphia, they moved to Kansas City in 1955, and Oakland in 1968. They play at Network Associates Coliseum.
Seattle: Mariners. Men who work at marinas and at shipping ports. They play at Safeco Field.
Tampa Bay: Devil Rays. Fishlike creatures that inhabit the seas around Florida. They were an expansion team in 1998. They play at Tropicana Field.
Texas: Rangers. Named for the Rangers who kept justice in the old west. Originally known as the Washington Senators (an expansion team to replace the ones that went to Minnesota) they moved to Texas in 1972. The play at the Ballpark in Arlington.
Toronto: Blue Jays. Blue birds. They play at the Skydome.

Some information as sugessted by Azara (U172739).
Each year the champions of the American and National Leagues face off in the World Series. This year (2002) it is the San Francisco Giants and the Anaheim Angels.
An expansion team is a team added to help the league grow, usually for revenue purposes.
Often the teams will move to an area where they will attract more fans.
Also see entry A853904

Note: The name origins are based mainly on the author's opinion, although there is some truth in some of them. All historical data and stadium names were verified at www.mlb.com

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A854372

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more