A Conversation for Great Footballers

All-Time World XI

Post 1

Trout Montague

Let's have an All-Time World XI in 4-4-2 Sven-tastic Formation

Goalkeeper

To begin, we'll have the Black Panther between the sticks. Kitted out in trade mark black, Lev Yashin, the Russian 'keeper at the 1958, 1962 and 1966 World Cup finals thrilled one and all with his acrobatics and agility.

Four Defenders

Brazilian Carlos Alberto captained the samba-boys to their 'three-peat' World Cup Final success in 1970 from right-back. For a winning combination, couple him up with consummate professionals German Franz Beckenbauer and Englishman Bobby Moore at centre-backs, although Franco Baresi may have a case. Keeping things tidy over on the left, it's ever-present Italian, Paolo Maldini.

Two Wings

On the left side of midfield, George Best is the obvious first choice. Over on the right, play Garrincha, the Brazilian 'little bird' who despite polio-twisted legs turned defenders inside out.

Central Midfield

There are a queue of players for the two central midfield positions, and Zidane, Platini and Maradona are always going to be there or thereabouts, but here it's Pele and Cruyff who get the nod, largely because there's only room for two. Anyway, Maradona would be a bad influence on Besty.

Up Front

The tall Marco Van Basten had it all; he was complete, on the ground, in the air, for the toe-poke in close and the poke-and-hope from 30 yards. Stick alongside him the tubby Puskas who was so talented he could juggle soap with his left foot ... his low-centre of gravity would complement Van Basten immaculately. Again, Eusebio dips out, but somebody has to warm the bench.


All-Time World XI

Post 2

Trout Montague

I suppose if I had to go 3-5-2, I might drop Alberto and play Baresi alongside Franz and Bobby.

Then I could get Maradonna into the midfield. Certainly Garrinch would track back on the right

Not convinced there'd be enough balls on the pitch though.


All-Time World XI

Post 3

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

Why's Pele in midfield? I always thought that he was a striker?


All-Time World XI

Post 4

Trout Montague

Versatility maketh the man


All-Time World XI

Post 5

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

It's a bit of a waste though isn't it? Why not play him in his best position coach?


All-Time World XI

Post 6

Trout Montague

I'd ask him to push up 'in the hole' like Scholes does. I can't put Pele infront of Puskas and Van Basten, or for that matter Eusebio, as a striker.

Trout


All-Time World XI

Post 7

Trout Montague

All right let's say the back 5 are sorted ...

Yashin
Alberto
Beckenbauer
Moore
Maldini

Garrincha on the right
Best on the left

Pele and Van Basten upfront.

That leaves two central midfield positions.

Maradona plus one of ...
Platini/Cruyff/Zidane


All-Time World XI

Post 8

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

Cruyff without a doubt. As good as the other two are, I don't think they would make my squad let alone team. Complete mind block at the moment as to who I would pick ahead of them for the squad though!


All-Time World XI

Post 9

Trout Montague

Let's say we need two goalies for a proper World Cup squad.

Yashin, Zoff ... Banks?


All-Time World XI

Post 10

Trout Montague

Let's say we need three (sorry) goalies for a proper World Cup squad.

Yashin, Zoff ... Banks?


All-Time World XI

Post 11

Trout Montague

Perhaps we need something less "creative" in midfield if we're going to do this properly.

A Souness, for example.


All-Time World XI

Post 12

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

Julian Dicks (1996 era - when he went nearly 2 seasons and only got a single yellow card!) at left back instead of Maldini. A crack penalty taker, great tackler, good distribution and more than that, excellent motivator of the team.

Shamefully overlooked for Euro 96 tournament in my humble opinion.


All-Time World XI

Post 13

Trout Montague

Garrincha - The Little Bird

"Without Garrincha, I would never have been a three times world champion"
- Pele

Despite his polio-twisted legs, Brazilian Garrincha surely vies only with Argentinian Maradonna for a place in history as football's greatest ever dribbler of the ball. As well as turning defenders inside out with his mazy runs and baffling unpredictable ability, Garrincha is also credited with having perfected the banana-kick.

Born Manuel Francisco dos Santos in Pau Grande, Brazil, on October 28, 1933, he was nicknamed Garrincha - "The Little Bird". His legs never recovered straightness (the left one was bent inwards and the right was six centimeters shorter and curved outwards), but that didn't stop him from winning 60 international caps and two World Cup Champion medals (1958 and 1962), suffering only one defeat in his last match (against Hungary) in the 1966 World Cup. His international record is remarkable:
P60 W52 D7 L1.

His home life was less happy. He had problems with alcohol, women and tax to a greater degree than most and died of cirrhosis-induced liver-failure, aged 49 on January 20, 1983.


All-Time World XI

Post 14

Trout Montague

See A884386 for the definitve team and how to manufacture it.


All-Time World XI

Post 15

Trout Montague

Note to Self.


All-Time World XI

Post 16

Great Ceasers Ghost

Ozzy ardiles
Stanley Matthews
Niall Quinn
David Backhams
Alan Hansen
Chopper Harris
Joseph Cole
Andy Cole
Ashley Cole
Gareth Southgate
Paul Mcgrath

(Im Back, by the way)


All-Time World XI

Post 17

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

I disagree with your formation. I would go for a flat back 6 with Junior Agogo as the lone striker.

Zephyr!


All-Time World XI

Post 18

Trout Montague

Is he related to Einstein?


All-Time World XI

Post 19

Trout Montague

Sub-Ed - you can cut and paste from here ... A899436


All-Time World XI

Post 20

Trout Montague

Landscape, 1981


Key: Complain about this post