A Conversation for Great Footballers

Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone

Post 1

Sam

My dad always eulogises the late Jim Baxter of Glasgow Rangers. He also has tremendous respect for another Scot, Celtic's Jimmy Johnstone. Does anyone know a bit more about these two?


Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone

Post 2

me[Andy]g

I don't know much about them; I do know an amusing story about Johnstone (I think) - apparently this happened in a game between Scotland and England in the '50s/'60s, I think at Wembley. Apparently the Scots were running rings around the English, and the English couldn't get the ball off them - so much so, that Johnstone (a Scot) actually had time to sit down on the ball whilst play was running and think what to do next!!


Jim Baxter

Post 3

Sam

Andy, it was against England in 1967 that Jim Baxter audaciously played keepie-uppie on the wing in front of 90,000 people. I found the following eulogy (among many) by football historian, Bob Crampsey, on a testimonial website set up shortly after Baxter's death. The URL is: http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/images_jbf1.html#photos

Bob Crampsey's quote:

Referring to Baxter's s ball-juggling antics at Wembley as Scotland defeated the then-World Cup holders England 3-2 in 1967.

"That's a defining moment for almost every football fan in Scotland irrespective of where their club allegiance lies," he said.

"Baxter going up and down that left wing at no great pace, keeping the ball off the deck with 90,000 people there was phenomenal.

"England had no idea what to do about it and Baxter was not about to solve that problem for them - it was a wonderful moment."

"Almost from the word go, he became a cult figure and he achieved almost messianic status.

"I would seldom use this word about football, but I think Baxter was loved and loved in the totality.

"Fans weren't blind to what others might have seen as faults. They knew he liked a drink, that he liked to stay out late and they knew he wasn't a dedicated pounder of the track, but they liked the package.

"I think, more than anything else, that he was the player they would have liked to have been."


Sends shivers up my back!

Sam.smiley - smiley


Jim Baxter

Post 4

me[Andy]g

Cheers Sam,

I'm sure I read somewhere once that someone sat down on the ball in that very same match... however, that book is at my parent's house (I think) so I can't check it... oh well.


Jim Baxter

Post 5

Sam

You're right. I remember someone sitting on the ball too. I'll ask my Dad...


Jim Baxter

Post 6

Sam

Right, my Dad said that it was 'probable' that Jim Baxter sat on the ball as well in that game. He didn't see the game in '67 but he assured me that he saw JB do it on 'many occasions' at Ibrox - especially against Celtic!

Sam.smiley - smiley


Jim Baxter

Post 7

me[Andy]g

Maybe that's what I'm remembering - there's probably a couple of pages on Jim Baxter in the book I read, and I'm getting the two matches mixed up. smiley - smileysmiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more