A Conversation for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Great entry

Post 1

EGK

Thanks for this entry. It certainly brought back memories of my own visit there two years ago. It's a remarkable place: fiercely humid, gridlocked, dirty and vibrant.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Batu caves, located in a pillar of limestone located 13 km from the city centre. They are entred by 272 steps from ground level, and house a (I think) Hindu temple. They are large and dramatic, and the air is filled with incens

Also, in the first line, do you mean 'peninsular Malaysia'? 'peninsular' is an adjective, 'peninsula' a noun.

Best wishes,

Deano


Great entry

Post 2

Coniraya

I enjoyed the entry, I was last in KL in 1965! The overriding childhood memory was the smell.

I think I shall have to go back and see how much it has changed in nearly 40 years.


Great entry

Post 3

MiniMy

Thanks for the encouragement. It is a great place - but then again I am slightly biased... smiley - smiley. But it has changed quite a bit in the last few years...


Great entry

Post 4

Greavsie

Tis indeed a great place - especially for the food (like the rest of Malaysia). Also worth metioning is that it's a great starting point for many other top places, such as a trip to the Taman Negara rainforest (fantastic), or a short flight to Tioman Island (tropical paradise, excellent diving) or even Penang for a mixture of colonial history in Georgetown and beach-relaxation at Batu Ferringhi. But the lasting memory is of the tremendous service and smiling faces from the locals and hotel staff who clearly lived in near poverty but still kept on smiling - very sobering.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more