Welcome to my small existence...

0 Conversations


It seems that you have entered my minimal existence... soon I will be wiped from the face of the earth and only a small part of me will live on. Oh well, I'm enjoying it while I'm here. Um... I should probably write about myself, shouldn't I? Well, here goes: My name is Eva. I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA. The United States is a large country mostly run by little green pieces of paper, which (if you have enough) can get you just about anything: a decent education, the pretense of getting a good education if you're too lazy to study, a nice house, a nice six-foot-wide car with the gas mileage of a helicopter (wait, are helicopters gas-efficient? let me know if they are so that I can make an even less relevant analogy!), or a comfy job in politics. The U.S. is inhabited, for the most part, by people who live in pursuit of said green pieces of paper. (I should probably insert at this point, as so not to sound too American and blind, that U.S. money is green. Just to be safe. Now you know. Although you probably did.) Wisconsin is a state in the Midwest that is inhabited by a whole lot of cows. It's separated from Canada by a large collection of lakes. Too bad I can't swim all that well. Milwaukee is the biggest city in Wisconsin; it has about six hundred thousand people, a large and air-conditioned bus system (but no subway), and, to the best of my scant knowledge, very few cows. It's also in a period of relative political turmoil. Our mayor was recently sued by someone who worked in his office, saying that the mayor had forced her into a relationship. (The mayor is married.) He says it was consensual. Nevertheless, he has decided not to run for mayor again, and has taken funds out of his campaign to settle the lawsuit. Also, our county executive resigned from office after a huge pension plan for the county executives and various supervisors was uncovered. (In a testament to general apathy to non-televised politics, this measure was passed quietly in the county legislature some time ago.) Some of the supervisors of the various districts within the county are now being forced to stand election again. Most are being defeated. Curiously, despite the importance that is generally given to politics, I don't think that any of this has profoundly affected my life.



I'm 14; I'll be a freshman in high school on September 5, when the school year starts in the Milwaukee Public School system. (Our superintendent just resigned; in eleven years of going to school I've had five or six different superintendents.) It's an abnormally late start; usually we start in the last week of August sometime. I actually do enjoy school - not always the students, not all of the teachers, and certainly not the food, but at least I learn. And I've made friends with a lot of teachers... they can be suprisingly nice. I've already started obsessing about college, which has led me to wonder what exactly the importance of college might be. At the moment I plan to go to Harvard or the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and study medicine, which interests me much because of Science Olympiad (described later, I hope). I'm starting French 3 next year (I took it all through middle school, equivalent to two years because it was an every-other-day class in sixth and seventh grades), and by all accounts it seems that the teacher is crazy in a bad way, so wish me luck! (Wait... I'm asking people whom, at the moment, I don't know, to wish me luck in a high school French class... well, wish me luck if you like.) I'm also taking Acting for one semester and Visual Basic for another. Whee!



Outside of being a geek/nerd/dork (and don't tell me I'm not) in general, I'm also involved in debate, forensics, and Science Olympiad. The debate topics for the last three years have been secondary education, privacy, and weapons of mass destruction. We've made cases on teacher quality, email privacy in the workplace, and biological/chemical weapons stockpiles in Russia. Next year will be mental health. I really enjoy debate, and you build so much muscle carrying around all those sets of evidence books! I've been competing in solo humorous acting in forensics for the last three years. Except for sixth grade (my first year), I've written my own eight-minute monologues. I don't think I'm particularly funny, but if I get lucky, a judge who thinks otherwise comes along. Science Olympiad is a competition on the state and national levels. Each school forms a team (a full team is 15 people, I think, plus a couple of alternates) and uses the team members to fill 20 events. Some are study events, some are building events. Some events mostly depend on chance. My study events are Science of Fitness (basic anatomy and physiology of the respiratory and circulatory systems, plus some nutrition and the risks of smoking) and Water Quality (identification of macroinvertebrates that live in water, familiarity with testing procedures and factors in water quality). My building event is The Wright Stuff (building a rubber-band-powered airplane from tissue paper and balsa wood and hoping that it flies longer than the others). My school's team has won eight times in the last 14 years. We went to Nationals in Colorado Springs when I was in seventh grade... no trip this year, but I'm coming back to the team next year.



I've also taken piano since first grade (seven-and-a-half years now!), but I don't think I'm particularly good. I have a red belt in taekwondo; I've been taking it for two years. I can get my probationary black belt in April 2003 if I'm a good girl...



Well, I'm sick of talking about myself and I'm sure you all are too. You can email me at [email protected] if you really want to. Congratulations, you've made it to the end.



Hey! Now I'm the Keeper of Undying Faith in Toasters! Tada!



FIN

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A828434

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more