For Want of a Drink

1 Conversation

Prof Animal Chaos is at it again. Making me laugh so I spill my drink.

My tipple of choice is non-diet Coca Cola. I realize that he would not approve of this, but he's a good friend and a tolerant fellow, so I'm sure he will forgive me..

The Prof comes from Yorkshire, an interesting place. For the benefit of those not from Yorkshire – especially my fellow North Americans – I have added a few notes by way of anthropological gloss. I hope these will elucidate the cultural context without detracting from the robust experience of a Prof anecdote. – DG

For Want of a Drink

This AIN'T what I ordered!

After walking in to a high-class, swanky tavern in the upper-echelon quarter of town1, I stepped up to the bar, where a barman approached and asked what I would like to drink.

To which I replied, "I would like a whisky with ice, please," at which he turned and proceeded to the rear of the bar where the optics2 and other assorted items were adorned on the shelving.

The barman then asked, looking over his shoulder, if I wanted a slice of orange in it, I said no, thank you.

Whereupon he then added the slice of orange, followed by a slice of lemon. I said, "I don't want anything in the drink," in a loudish voice that I'm sure he heard.

Then comes along a cherry to be added, closely followed by some other liquids.

At this time, still no ice had been added, he then continued to add the proverbial umbrella3, a plastic stirring implement, a sprig of mint, placing the glass on a side plate with a slice of cucumber, a quarter of a lime, plus a small pile of salt at the side of the glass and before turning back to my direction, the ice was finally added4.

"Here you are, sir! Your drink!"

"That is NOT my drink!"

"Yes it is, sir, it's what you ordered."

"No, it isn't!"

"Sir! Your drink is £19.55, please."

"That is NOT my drink! Are you deaf?"

"Just a moment, sir!" And he goes to talk with another barman, who along with him walks over to where I'm stood5.

So this white-shirted, bow-tied, greasy-combed back-haired, nose-so-high-in-the-air-that-it's-got-a-red-warning-light-on-it-for-low-flying-aircraft opens his mouth and says:

"Sir! We seem to have a little difficulty here, Maureece (Maurice to us6) says you will not pay for your drink?"

"That is NOT my drink, it is NOT the drink I ordered and NOT the drink I expected."

"But, sir, Maureece says that is what you ordered."

"Well! Tell Maureeeece he should get his ear wax removed, or you should retrain him in the art of barmanship, as when Maureeeeeece asked what I would like to drink, to which I answered "a whisky with ice" in a clear plain voice as not to be misunderstood by the simplest of persons.

"As to which Maureeeeeeeece took it unto himself to add a fruit plantation and various liquid distillates from around the world and a large amount of recycled plastic objects7.

"That is in no way a whisky and ice, as to what I asked and ordered.

"NOW! Are you going to get my drink – a single measure of whisky, with
approximately two ice cubes added to the liquid – or not ?"

"Maureece! Will you GET this gentleman one Scotch on the rocks?"

Maureeeeeeeeeece does as he is asked and, on presenting said drink on the bar in front of me, says, " YOUR drink, sir, and that will be £5.67 please."

"NAH! You can pour it back in to the optic, Maureeeeeeeeeeeece, as if in a drought! You get too thirsty in this place waiting for a drink, so I'll go elsewhere.

"Oh! And after watching other patron tipping the bar personnel, here's my tip! Go take up skydiving – and if you enjoy it after the first jump, do a second one and with that one, use a parachute8."

It's all fictitious, unless it's happened to you or someone you know, and if that be the case, all names and prices have been changed to protect the innocent9.

No animals were injured during the making of this anecdote10, and anyone reading this, either living or dead, can do so at their own discretion.

Do not drink while reading this joke.

PS: Those who are observant will have noticed neither I or the two barmen asked if the whisky was to be a single malt or blended variety. That was a deliberate action on my part, just to put a bit of mystery into it11.

PPS: The umbrella and plastic objects were recyclable, but as to whether the staff put them in the recycle bin or not, is another question.

Poetry and Fiction by Prof Animal Chaos
Prof Animal Chaos

28.02.11 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1This is not to be confused with, say, the kind of US bar that has animated neon champagne glasses out front.2I confess myself at a loss to explain these "optics". Are they visual aids intended to help in the selection of upper-echelon potables, perhaps for dyslexic drinkers?3I do not know this proverb, but I'll bet it has the word "thou" in it.4I have left this syntax intact. I cannot improve upon it.5Still waiting for a real drink.6For readers in the US: Prof means "Morris", as in "Morris the Cat". We, of course, have the bad taste to pronounce this name the way we think it is spelled. We have not had the benefits of a Yorkshire education.7 Nanci Griffith (a Texan, although many people – including a former US President – believe her to be Irish) has explained to us where these "unnecessary plastic objects" originate. Even in the UK, she found a Woolworth's. Now that this august institution is defunct, we believe that the former East Bloc has stepped in to fill the gap. The recycled plastic objects probably come from Romania.8The Prof's advice, though no doubt kindly intentioned, is not without its hazards. We recommend taking lessons before attempting parachute-free skydiving. (The BBC legal department made us put that in.)9We have trouble imagining an innocent h2g2er, let alone an innocent Yorkshireman, but we're not telling this joke.10Except for my dog. I accidentally fell on him while laughing.11Mark Twain himself would have approved of this strategy, Prof.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A81773571

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more