An African Adventure: Anyone for Tennis Part 2

0 Conversations

This is the first time that the Knolly Estate has allowed the great man's memoirs to be published. What follows is the twenty fourth chapter of 'The African Adventure'.

Anyone For Tennis Part 2

It was indeed a long night. I have no idea how much sleep either Bertie or I actually got due to us alternatively kicking each other in the head, finding toes wedged in mouth or nostrils and then there was the crying and wailing from next door. Poor Elspeth. I believe that what made the whole episode worse was the fact that these events seemed to occur just at the point that whatever dreams I was having started to get interesting. I just couldn't seem to shake the vision of the lovely Elspeth in a state of undress from my mind.

The final straw came when I was kicked out of bed to the cry of 'you cannot be serious old chap'.

And from the floor I saw Bertie sit bolt upright wave an admonishing finger at some spectre or other then flop back down on his bolster. In retrospect it had done me some good for the dream I was having at that point seemed to involve Elspeth dancing before me dressed in what appeared to be a Royal Navy Mk 1 diving suit. How she was doing this in lead-soled boots I don't know but I blame the whole episode on the cheese board.

Bertie was now snoring away to himself, but my mind was wandering. I just couldn't seem to shake the vision of the lovely Elspeth in a state of undress from my mind. I had to have something to concentrate on. At this point my stomach growled.


'Ah, food. Yes, that would do the trick. Capital idea.' I thought.

I quickly washed from the jug on the nightstand. The cold water on my face was like a slap and I felt better for it. I rummaged in Bertie's wardrobe to find something that would do whilst wandering about the house, for now was not the time to be knocking on my own room. The Sun started to show itself over the tops of trees as I closed the door quietly behind me and went in search of a light repast and a good strong cup of tea. Of last nights mayhem there was very little sign. Both the staff and men of the Light Horse obviously worked small miracles in the small hours.

Once downstairs I decided to take a look in the courtyard. This, too, had been cleared up and the air smelt crisp and clean. There and then I decided that tea and toast could wait. What I needed was some exercise. I sauntered over to the stable block to where a couple of troopers were saddling up.


'I say you fellows, mind if I borrow Rupert for a while? I quite fancy working up an appetite.'


The two of them turned and saluted.
'Certainly, sir. Captain Le Boeuf left us orders that you and Mr Harrison – Harrison should be offered every hospitality of the Regiment.'


'Splendid, I'll get him saddled up then, shall I?'


They looked me and down a bit.
'Pardon us, sir, but you don't exactly seem dressed for riding.'


I looked down myself. Yes, they were indeed right. Dancing pumps would not do in the saddle and the trousers I was wearing did seem a little on the thin side. The red smoking jacket, however, did add a nice military air to the whole ensemble, though.


'Hmmm, yes. Perhaps some stout boots and riding trousers would be in order?' I pondered aloud.
'Certainly, sir, though the Captain did warn us that you was a bit eccentric like.'


'He did, did he? Well perhaps you could wake him up as soon as I'm gone. He did ask to be up early after all.'


The two troopers smirked at this and bade me follow them into the tack room.
'Knolly!!' came a cry from the heavens and there was Bertie, head sticking out of a first floor window, hair wildly sticking up in all sorts of directions. 'Wait for me, I'll be down as soon as I can navigate my way downstairs.'


'Gentleman, that will be Rupert and another horse then, I think.' I turned back to look for Bertie but he had gone from the window.

By the time the horses had been saddled and I had led them both to the unfortunate fountain, Bertie had still not made an appearance. I've no idea whose boots and jodhpurs I was wearing, but was reliably informed that the Officer they belonged to would not require them for a while. The Sun was now higher and its first warmth was starting to produce a slight haze in the distance. I pulled out Bertie's pocket watch. 7:45 it read and I decided to give him until ten to eight. If I left much longer everyone else would be up and about and it would give me little or no chance to poke around.
'I know what you're thinking, Knolly.' whispered a voice in my ear.


'Bertie, I knew you were there behind me you know.'
'Didn't!'


'Yes, I did!'
'Did not. Anyway, as I said, this is not some early morning exercise jaunt. You want to see if that airship came down anywhere or dropped some clue or whatnot. Look, see, I came prepared.'


He held up a knapsack and showed me its contents. Two pairs of field glasses, two floppy hats, some fruit (filched from the kitchens no doubt) plus a notebook and pen and a couple of bottles of what I hoped were water.


I sighed as he plonked one of the hats on my head. 'You are not wrong, Bertie, but I'd hoped to look around on my own. No, don't look hurt. After last nigh I hardly thought you'd be in any state for a bit of detective work. Oh and that is water in bottles I assume?'


Bertie grabbed the reins from my hand.
'Look, at the moment I'm fine.' he snapped 'Come on, let's go. We need to be back in an hour or so, I'm told breakfast will be ready by nine and I've got an empty stomach'.

With that he launched himself into the saddle and barely stopped himself from going over the other side. I rushed round to steady him.


'Look, Bertie, I can do this on my own. You can get an extra hour in bed.'
'No, Knolly, here I am and here I'll stay. Giddy up there!' And with that he cantered out towards the veldt.

I soon caught up with him and we eased to walking pace once we were clear of the house.
'So, Knolly, what exactly is it we are looking for?'


'I have no idea, Bertie, but we'll know when we find it. How did you sleep by the way?'
'Awful. I dreamt I was playing tennis against the Countess and all she kept doing was laughing at me for calling for new balls please. Dreadful.'


'Bertie, it will be alright. She's not here. I told you that last night.'
'Yes, yes, I know. I was in a state after breathing in that stuff and although I was clearly improved by the time we went to bed certain images were still able to surface.'


I nodded. 'I know what you mean.'

For ten minutes or so we compared our nights sleep and Bertie was highly amused by Elspeth's antics and concerned for my welfare.
'Knolly, we've been out in this part of the world for months now. Do we really have any idea of what Rhodes is up to and, more importantly, will we be home for Christmas? I mean it's November already.'


'I promise you this, Bertie. Come Christmas day we'll either be home or well on our way.'

Time was now not on our side and we had been riding around in the general direction of where the airship had been heading for about half an hour and not seen anything remotely suspicious.


Bertie had stopped for a drink. The Sun was higher now and the ground heating up. In the distance I could see vultures circling.


'Bertie, look over there.' I said pointing toward the circling black specks. 'Something's been up killing early. Let's go take a look'.


Bertie climbed back into the saddle. 'Race you!'

We thundered over the ground kicking up dust behind us. The horses loved it and the pair of us not being the best riders in the world clung on and whooped and hollered as if we were back at school. The vultures scattered before us on our arrival, some of the more adventurous only hopping a few feet away as we reined in and dismounted. On the ground were two objects; one a disembowelled springbok and, next to it, a large bag of sand.
'Well that was a lucky shot eh, Knolly?'


I scanned the surroundings, pointed and ran off with Bertie in hot pursuit leading the horses.


'Well, Bertie, we know the airship passed this way.'


Bertie huffed and puffed. 'Yes and I can only have dropped these ballast bags to gain height which means...'


'It must have landed somewhere!' we said as one.

At that moment the ground seem to erupt around us as men in dust-coloured uniforms appeared as if from nowhere. There was a click of rifle bolts as Bertie and I reached for our saddle holsters.


On of the men stepped forward and pulled off goggles and headgear.
'Your deductive powers astound me once again!' purred a voice.


I looked to Bertie who was trying to control his shaking.


You promised! he blinked at me.


Sorry, we all make mistakes! I blinked back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Great Knolly Archive

The Shepherd and
huzzah4knolly

22.12.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page

Dr Mo

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A7906548

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more