A Conversation for Bush House, London, UK

More Facts

Post 1

Andrew Bowden

Couple of other facts about Bush House...

The canteen was the first known self service cafeteria in London and visitors had to be instructed in how to use it.

The building once housed a swimming pool (now a studio) in the south east wing, whilst the north east wing had a badminton court.


More Facts

Post 2

Andrew Bowden

Oh yeah and whilst Bush House is famous for it's broadcasting, it wasn't always the only broadcaster in the area. Across the road is St Catherine's House, now home to Esso. Originally called Television House, it housed the offices of Associated-Rediffusion, which was the first ITV company, and broadcast to London on weekdays (with ATV London taking over at weekends). The building later housed offices of Thames Television for a few years.

There's a indepth piece on Associated-Rediffusion at Independent Teleweb although it doesn't really mention St Catherine's House:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/itw/AR/history.html


More Facts

Post 3

Mina

Thanks for the info! smiley - smiley


Thread Moved

Post 4

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Bush House' to 'Bush House, London, UK'.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more