A Conversation for Freemasonry - the United Grand Lodge of England

discoveries

Post 1

Piece_of_the_puzzle

Very interesting text, useful facts, clear explanations. Thank you.

Without belonging, I read about it, and can imagine the path taken over the centuries to arrive where the Lodges are today.
I marvel at the discipline, the knowledge, the respect, the equality, the learning, the capacity to share.

Can one be a freemason without physical presence in the Temple? Can one belong to a Lodge without living in the country?
Are there age limits, geographical or other requirements? Are there internet-based Lodges?
Maybe my children are ashlars unknowingly ...


discoveries

Post 2

HappyDude

I'm not a FM so I don't know if you visit there website you will find full contact details and hopefully answers to your question.


discoveries

Post 3

Foul Ole Ron

Some answers for you:-
Can one be a freemason without physical presence in the Temple?
> It is necessary to attend a regular lodge meeting - the frequency varies, some meet four times a year some more often - i.e. monthly, every two weeks, etc. The tenets of Freemasonry can be practiced without being a member, and the world would be a much better place if everybody did!

Can one belong to a Lodge without living in the country?
> Which country? There are Freemason's lodges in almost every country in the world. An internet search would very quickly find the Grand Lodge responsible for your specific country.

Are there age limits, geographical or other requirements?
> Most jurisdictions have 21 as a minimum age, although some have 18. As the article mentions there are different 'flavours' i.e. there is Womens Freemasonry, Co-masonry (mixed) and male only Freemasonry - the preference of 'flavour' is there for the individual to choose from. There are no specific geographical requirements - Freemasonry is in most countries.

Are there internet-based Lodges?
yes! there is a specific internet lodge, which is governed by the UGLE.

hope this helps

Ron



discoveries

Post 4

Piece_of_the_puzzle

Oh yes, thanks.

I was thinking of a maximum age but seem to have omitted this. As to the country, I am looking on the internet to see what is in my 'neighbourhood' ... Mixed lodges seem logical ...

I shall read my way through the search results and pages ... hmmmm, every country shows different results for the same question {puzzled}. I shall need to spend more time searching.

As you say, there are principles which can be applied, certain values are universal, anytime anywhere.

Puzz


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more