A Conversation for The 1981 US Air Traffic Controllers Strike

A third Irony

Post 1

shagbark

This researcher also finds it ironic that after the damage Reagan inflicted on US air traffic control someone decided to name the main airport in Wahsington DC after the former President and it is now the
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (see http://www.metwashairports.com/2455.htm )


A third Irony

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I agree. This is ironic and annoying. smiley - cross

Excellent entry, though. smiley - smiley 'The evil that men do lives after them...'


A third Irony

Post 3

clzoomer- a bit woobly

How did this man come to be regarded as a *good* president?

*Union-busting was only one aspect of Reagan's anti-labor policy. He attempted to lower the minimum wage for younger workers, ease the child labor and anti-sweatshop laws, tax fringe benefits, and cut back job training programs for the unemployed. He tried to replace thousands of federal employees with temporary workers who would not have civil service or union protections.

The Reagan administration all but dismantled programs that required affirmative action and other steps against discrimination by federal contractors, and seriously undermined worker safety. It closed one-third of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's field offices, trimmed its staff by more than one-fourth and decreased the number of penalties assessed against employers by almost three-fourths.*

http://www.dickmeister.com/id89.html

Wisconson seems to be just the latest incarnation of big business trying to enslave workers....

smiley - erm

And I agree, excellent entry! smiley - ok


A third Irony

Post 4

shagbark

If you want to know why he was considered so good ask a historian- don't ask me. His policies nearly wrecked my life and it took decades to recover from them.


A third Irony

Post 5

shagbark

one website says:
Ronald Reagan dropped two places from 16th overall in 2002 to 18th today. Still, Reagan remains highly regarded for his luck, party leadership, communication ability, relationship with Congress and his leadership ability.
Even in the last US Election Republican contenders for the Presidential Nomination were trying to portray themselves as "Reagan Republicans"
Under his administration the rich got richer and the poor got poorer.


Yet Another Irony

Post 6

Mike ODonnell

So, the dangerous understaffing of air traffic control led to a sleep-deprived controller passing out and leaving traffic uncontrolled at, you guessed it, Reagan Airport: Huffington Post Article.

smiley - tongueout


Yet Another Irony: the link

Post 7

Mike ODonnell

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/23/sleeping-air-traffic-controller_n_839775.html


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The 1981 US Air Traffic Controllers Strike

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more