A Conversation for Mnemonics and Other Learning Devices

Musical pitch...

Post 1

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

There are two well-used mnemonics where music is concerned. For the uninitiated, music is written on staves (plural of staff) - one staff consists of 5 equally spaced horizontal lines. The vertical position of a note in relation to these lines represents its intended pitch - notes can either be centred on a line, or in a space.

To remember the leter names of the notes on the lines, use the mnemonic 'Every good boy deserves football', as (from the bottom line of the staff to the top) the notes go E G B D F.

For the notes in the spaces, you just have to remember FACE.

By the time you're playing notes on ledger lines (extra lines used to 'extend' the available range of pitch either above or below the staff) you should be able to recognise the 'staff notes' by sight.


Musical pitch...

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Don't forget to put a link to the Edited "Mnemonic Devices for Guitarists" A511598.

The "Every Good Boy Deserves Football / Fruit" and FACE are only for the treble clef. For the bass cleff, the lines are GBDFA (Good Boys Deserve Fine Apples) and the spaces are ACEG (All Cows Eat Grass).



Musical pitch...

Post 3

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

Ooops... yes. I mean to say that! (only treble clef)

Anyone know any for the alto and tenor clefs?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more