A Conversation for The World's Best Campsites

CANADA!

Post 1

The Dragonlady~There are no ugly women in the world, only neglected ones!

My idea of "getting away from it all", is truly "getting away from it all"smiley - weird
Being a single parent,and having a minimum of ten children in my home on any given day, taking a vacation is absolutely necessary. (Once a month is preferable).
During the fall hunting season, taking the camper ANYWHEREsmiley - cool is good. (Anywhere there is game in season, of course.) Any part of the forest, small uninhabited lake, or patch of scrub will do. Even if rabbit is the only game caught, at least going out saves me from wanting to hunt my childrensmiley - monster. Although, taking my children has also been enjoyable at times, as they get to learn about respecting nature, the land, and animals. I figure that they might even learn to respect each othersmiley - drunk, and stop acting like animals, themselvessmiley - smiley
We are fortunate to live on a farm, in rural Saskatchewan (Canada). Nature is all around us, and we do not have to go far to get away from it all. We have quite a few small lakes within forty kilometers of our home, all of them surrounded by lush pine forestssmiley - wow. In our own tract of land, there are hills, a stream, poplar trees, pine trees, and wild berry bushes. Simply going out to the 'back forty', and watching for passing wildlife, is a treat. We have seen many deer, a bear, a cougar, geese, ducks, herons, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, birds galore, a bobcat, moose, elksmiley - reindeer, weasels, a martin, moles, batssmiley - bat, and a beaver.smiley - bigeyes I have done my best to impress upon my children how fortunate they are to see each of those animals, as most people never get to see them in their natural habitatsmiley - nahnah.
We have yet to see smiley - ufosmiley - aliensmilesmiley - martiansmile, or smiley - ghost. And, we've been keeping our eyes open for "Bigfoot", too.
On days when I need to have some very quiet alone timesmiley - peacesign, I will dress in camoflage clothing (I like the hardwoods pattern), and slip out to the back forty, pretending that no one can see me. I call that a vacation, even if it is only for a couple of hours. I used to try doing that in the city, but hiding in the lilac hedge somehow isn't quite the same. And, car exhaust seems to spoil the health benefits, which are so necessary to a successful vacation.
Some day I hope to travel for real. I would like to get back to London, England, visit the Pyramids, travel on a canal in Venice, take an Alaskan cruise, and go to Disneyland to make myself sicksmiley - ill on all of the rides. (Although I hear one can get the same effect by eating two caramel apples, a big candy floss, three sodas, a couple of hot dogssmiley - hotdog, and chewing a piece of bubble gum, and then spinning wildly around in circles.)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more