A Conversation for 'The Death of Klinghoffer' - the Opera

Well...

Post 1

Sol

I told you I was looking forward to this smiley - smiley Not disappointed either. Deary me, now I really want to hear the opera.


Well...

Post 2

Sea Change

The Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles sung the Night Chorus in their spring concert April 2002. Powerful, raw stuff.


Well...

Post 3

Sol

*fingers in ears* No! Stop it! Send me the CD!


Well...

Post 4

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

How did The Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles cope with the soprano and alto lines? Were they joined by women, or do they have male members with exceptionally high voices?


Well...

Post 5

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Solnushka, the opera is commercially available on CD, and shouldn't be too difficult to track down.

Should you happen to be in the UK, a film version of the opera is being made, which will be broadcast on Channel 4 TV, possibly early in 2003 - if you can wait that long! If and when I find out the broadcast date I'll post it here.


Well...

Post 6

Sol

To be honest, Bels, I've already made a note of the name smiley - biggrin I can't think why, I'm not a big fan of opera, but you've sold me.


Well...

Post 7

Sea Change

They have countertenors, and had a guest soprano.


'Klinghoffer' on British TV

Post 8

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986


Channel 4 propose to broadcast the film of "The Death of Klinghoffer" on May 24th 2003 at 20:05 (8:05 pm).

They have pointed out that this may be subject to change.


'Klinghoffer' on British TV

Post 9

Sea Change

This announcement made a big splash here in Los Angeles' newspapers. A lot of folks in the 'biz' are paying very close attention.


'Klinghoffer' on British TV

Post 10

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Thanks for that, Sea Change.

There's a writeup at http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl-war-swed19apr19.story


'Klinghoffer' on DVD

Post 11

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986


Just appearing in the States is

* DEATH OF KLINGHOFFER: Sanford Sylvan, Yvonne Howard, Tom Randle, Christopher Maltman, Kamel Boutros, Leigh Melrose, Susan Bickley; John Adams, LSO 2002. Special features include "Filming The Death of Klinghoffer" (47 minutes) and a director's commentary (the first opera DVD to feature a director's commentary) which discusses the making of this film, with contributions from Yvonne Howard, Christopher Maltman, and Tom Randle. (Decca)

Bels,
November 2003


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 'The Death of Klinghoffer' - the Opera

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more