Traveling Through The Darien Gap

1 Conversation

The Darien Gap, is a large swampland and rain forest causing a delay in the completion of the Pan-American Highway; which would extend from the most northern part of North America (Alaska), to the most southern part of South America(Ushuaia,Argentina),and separating Panama's Darien Province in Central America from Columbia in South America.

The reason for the delay of the completion of the Pan-American Highway is because the Darien Gap is extremely dangerous and difficult to travel through; due to the Columbian army fighting against the guerrilla troops,drug cartel, and the rough terrain. Which is why it is almost impossible to travel through the Darien Gap,let alone to try and build a highway.

There are many ways to travel through the Darien Gap, the best way being by plane. Traveler's could attempt to travel by foot but will be at the risk of being captured and held hostage for ransom by the guerrilla troops, and or drug cartel. The Panamanian government will not get involved if traveler's decided to cross the gap on their own. You may also travel by boat,where natives of the land will either lend you their boat or take you themselves for a small fee; so it is best you always keep some cash on you when traveling through through the gap. If you decide to travel through the gap it is best that you have a chain saw,a ax or a small army to back up, in the event you run into some guerrilla troops.

Though many travelers have made it through the Darien Gap safely, there is another route through the Darien Gap,and that is by going along the coast of the San Blas Islands. The San Blas Islands is an archipelago of 378 islands. If you were to take this route, you would not be going through the Darien Gap,just the outskirts of it. Although this is probably the most safest route to take to get to South America from Panama, without flying, many backpackers have said "no true backpacker takes the easy route".

Though you may not get the full terrifying,life threatening experience of going through the Darien Gap, The San Blas Islands is the best way to go because,you would get to see beautiful islands and you would still have your life.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A73946046

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more