A Conversation for Growing Up in the 1980s

The best comedy decade ever

Post 1

Mina

The rise of what was called 'alternative' comedy by the 'squares'.

Ben Elton with his ranting style of delivery, forced to perform his act for Saturday Live in front of unsmiling lawyers before the show, Loadsamoney the plasterer, Stavros with his 'up the arse' (arsenal) catchphrase.

The Young Ones, Comic Strip, French and Saunders, Girls on Top, it was also the decade of the stand-up comic. (Well, so it seemed to me.)

Rik Mayall, everything he touched turned to gold - The New Statesman, like Loadsamoney - poking fun at the greed of the wealthy few, and stabbing a few politicians in the back as well.

Comic Relief was launched in that decade, as was quite a few charity comedy gigs - the Secret Policeman's Ball, Hysteria...

I want to go back! smiley - wah I want to have big hair, a flick fringe, smiley - musicalnote Hairspray, my momma told me not to use it smiley - musicalnote
A shirt with a belt over it, legwarmers, puffball skirts with bovver boots, those were the days...


The best comedy decade ever

Post 2

Orcus

All good (except maybe Girls on Top - never did like Ruby Wax smiley - ill)

Not the Nine O'Clock News! smiley - ok

Three of a Kind smiley - ok

Blackadder smiley - ok

A Kick Up The Eighties smiley - ok (First time I recall seeing Robbie Coltrane)

Saturday Live with Ben Elton et al. was compulsory viewing in the latter half of the 80s


The best comedy decade ever

Post 3

braindead_geordie

talking about the new statesman, i see that rik has a new series out this weekend, where he's an aristo. here's hoping it does for the landed gentry what alan b'stard did for the tories...


The best comedy decade ever

Post 4

Mina

A new series? I'll look out for that one, thanks!


The best comedy decade ever

Post 5

Orcus

Just hoep he doesn't do any Hitler impressions! smiley - winkeye


The best comedy decade ever

Post 6

braindead_geordie

here you go: (from radio times site)

Believe Nothing
Sunday 14 July ITV Time: 10:05pm to 10:35pm (on at the same time as 24, what silly timing)

Sitcom about a college professor, from the writers of `The New Statesman'. After convincing the entire British population to eat only genetically modified food, the irresistible Adonis Cnut is invited to take the 13th and final seat at the Council for International Progress, a shadowy underground organisation that manipulates everything in the world. Written by Laurence Marks and Maurice Gran.

Cast List
Adonis Cnut ..... Rik Mayall
Albumen ..... Michael Maloney
Dr Hannah Awkward ..... Emily Bruni
Le Fanu ..... Pip Torrens
Lance Boyle ..... Barry Cryer
Chairman ..... Don Warrington
Nebbish ..... Kerry Shale
Boutros Boutros-Ghali ..... Vic Tablian
Dave Short ..... Tim Vine
Doris ..... Maureen Sweeney



The best comedy decade ever

Post 7

invisibleknight

There is also a renunion of hopefully ALL the original Comic Strip Presents Cast members as they are planning on making another some times next year - 2006.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more