A Conversation for How to Change an Oil Filter

you make it all...

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

...sound so easy.


you make it all...

Post 2

Mu Beta

But, Sho, it really is.

It's long been a conviction of mine that to pass a driving test, you should know how to carry out basic maintainence (wheels, filters, plugs). I was horrified when a friend of mine told me he paid the garage £40 a time (not including parts) to change his oil filter, air filter and plugs. The job should take less than an hour - I'd do it for a tenner.

B


you make it all...

Post 3

Captain Kebab

I used to have a driving school. One of the things that I did to make myself stand out from the crowd was to offer car maintenance lessons. I offered this to anybody who had taken 5 or more lessons with me, and passed their test.

I gave new drivers a certificate when they passed, which explained they could call me to arrange an appointment and I would show them the basics - how to check oil, water, brake fluid, tyre pressures etc., how to change a wheel - all the sorts of checks and emergency repairs a motorist needs to be able to do.

I was happy to do this on my car, or on their car. I made it very clear that this was absolutely free, and that as an ex-AA Patrol I knew what I was doing.

And how many people took advantage of this? None. Not one - ever. Lots of people told me what a good idea it was, but nobody ever asked me to do it. I have never understood why.


you make it all...

Post 4

Steve K.

" ... hammer a screwdriver tip in through the filter wall, and use this as a basis for leverage to unscrew the filter ..."

A friend tried this years ago on an old Datsun, I think. The first result was simply tearing the filter in half, the threaded part still seated firmly in place. I don't remember what he did next.

But I do recall using a "chain wrench" from a nearby Sears automotive store to attempt to remove a filter from a Chevy. The wrench was actually a cheap affair with a thin metal band that went around the filter body, and a not much thicker metal handle. After applying a LOT of force, the wrench simply buckled. I took it back to Sears, and they cheerfully gave me another. Same thing happened again, with the additional feature of a swollen knuckle from the collision with a nearby engine.

I ended up driving the car to Sears for a third wrench - I don't remember how I did this, maybe added a little oil. The manager came walking out to the car with the biggest set of channel locks I've ever seen (like pliers with large flat teeth). He got it off. smiley - grr


you make it all...

Post 5

Captain Kebab

The screwdriver thing is a bit of a last-resort, but with care it does work. It helps to make sure the screwdriver goes all the way through the filter fairly centrally, and near to the base. You are right, though, Steve - you could end up tearing it.

You might then consider tapping the threaded base around with a hammer and chisel. At this stage it might be worth taking the filter base off the engine and doing it on the bench. Given a good toolbox, (and as you say, cheap tools don't do the trick) a little ingenuity and a bit of perserverance you can always get them off.

At the end of all this you'd do well not to overtighten the new one!
smiley - biggrin


you make it all...

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

Master B: how's this then. I will give it a go next time I need an oil change (just had one)

Sorry, can't remember your name, Mr. Driving Instructor... wish I'd had you teaching me, I can't believe people didn't take you up on your offer... sheer laziness I think.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more