A Conversation for Chess

Chess: a game.

Post 1

Researcher Rhys Tranter

Chess is a complex and intelligent game to be played between two players. It is played on a checkered board of 64 squares (exactly the same board as is used for draughts [or checkers as it is also known]). The board is positioned in front of the two players who sit facing each other, with a white square on the right hand-side corner of the board. To position the board correctly for player, a white square must be present on the bottom right-hand corner of the board, looking from the position of each of the two players.

Each player receives a set of 16 chessmen. One player receives 16 White men, the other player receives 16 Black. 8 of these chessmen will be pawns, and 8 of them shall be pieces. The pieces generally being more powerful than the pawns at the beginning of the game.

Pieces are set up at the back line (or rank) of the board, which shall be nearest to each player.

The pieces shall comprise of two rooks (which are capable of travelling anywhere on the board in a straight line (and may not pass over other pieces or pawns, as only the Knight is capable of this). Two Knights, which are capable of moving in any direction two squares, and then must move one square at a right-angle to the previous direction of travel, so that they are effectively travelling in an 'L' shape. Two bishops, which are capable of travelling anywhere on the board in a diagonal line. One Queen, which may travel as many squares as she pleases in either a straight, or a diagonal line. And a King, capable of traveling in any direction, but may only move one square per turn. I stress again here that the Knight is the only pieces capable of leaping over other pieces.
They are positioned along the back rank (nearest each player) as follows:

R(ook), N(Knight), B(ishop),Q(ueen),K(ing),B(ishop), N(Knight), R(ook)

Eight pawns are then positioned in front of each piece. The pawn is capable of moving forward only with the exception of the first move, where it may choose to move either one or two squares forward at one time. And when capturing another piece, it must move forward and diagonally to either the left or the right.

The Queen must be positioned on a square of its own colour in the starting position of the game. So that the White Queen is on a White square, and the Black Queen is on a Black square.
White always moves first. Black follows.

If a piece threatens to capture the opponent's King in the following move then the player theatening the opponent's King must immediatey call "Check,".

The opponents King must then remove himself from check in one of the following ways:

a) Move into a square not controlled by a piece of the opposition.
b) Move a piece into the way of the piece which is checking the King, therefore preventing the piece from taking the King in the following turn.
c) Take the piece that is checking the King.

If the side that is being checked cannot do any of these things then he is declared checkmated, and the side that checkmated the King wins the game.

There are other rules to the game which shall be added to this article as I can find the time to do so. Hopefully then, I shall be able to compile a more detailed descriptions of the rules of this clever and enjoyable game.

Other sites based upon the game of chess are greaty reccomended by this researcher. Here are their addresses:

1)www.kasparovchess.com
2)www.worldfide.com


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more