A Conversation for How to Get Into UK Medical School

becoming a doctor

Post 1

chrisedmundpeter

I have posted another message ("Becoming a doctor may not all be roses") which presents the counter-arguments for going to medical school and suggests that people should be very sure that they really want to be doctors. I have posted it in reply to the article on becoming a doctor in the USA but my own experience was of training at a British med school and then gradually realising that I was in the wrong career.


becoming a doctor

Post 2

Z

Hi,


I'm sorry you had such a difficult time. I have to admit it didn't occur to me I've just started the medicine part of my final year, and I have to say I'm loving every minute.

I've been on a busy take a teaching hospital, and I've had a wonderful time, because I was doing almost everything the juniors were doing apart from signing prescriptions. Do I find it emotionally draining? Well I did at first, but I realised I couldn't help patients unless I built up a temporary barrier. I know there's parts of it I'm good at, and that I'll be able to make a difference.

I know I'm blessed to be doing something I love doing, and my age, and have a vocation in life, I know it sounds pretenious. But I look at my friends who are graduating in other subjects and I'm so glad I'm not them.

Yes I know, I'm going to be disillusioned, but I really can't imagine doing anything else.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more