These Are the Times That Fry Men's Brains

0 Conversations

Question 1c: Who said 'Veni, vidi, vici', and what did his wife reply?
Summertime....and the living is easy...

Bah. Humbug.

Summertime, when the children are all out of school, giving their parents and the day-care centres headaches, cannon-balling into pools all over the county, and generally being carefree while they forget everything they learned in school1. I, on the other hand, manage to steal an hour a day for some swimming with the tykes, only to have to run back to the computer and work on tests.

Yes, tests. Not taking them, mind – taking them is easy – writing the blasted things.

For weeks now, yours truly has been chained to the laptop, morning and night, banging out hundreds of test questions with no end in sight. These objects have to be banked – that is, you have to write multiples, because the little beggars will cheat if you don't. And they have to be precisely worded, on topic, and varied, and labelled, according to difficulty. No fair making them all level 4 (hard) questions. No fair making them all level 1 (easy) questions. No. Gotta follow the educational people's guidelines. It's like rubbing your belly and patting your head for hours on end. Writing is fun (to me): Writing test questions is often about as much fun as shovelling coal2. There might be a gold nugget or two in there, but my brain muscles start to ache after a while.

Oh, and you can't make up silly wrong answers. Which is why this is not one of my test questions:

How did Galileo reply to the charges of the ecclesiastical authorities?

  • He apologised and promised to leave the solar system alone in future.
  • He claimed that all the heresy in his book was the fault of a vindictive atheist subeditor.
  • He sent the Pope a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, obtained by time machine.
  • He spray-painted "eppur si muove" all over the Trevi Fountain and took off in a passing tardis.

I appreciate the importance of good tests. After all, you want to be able to prove you learned something during the semester. You want some bona fides. Besides, you need something to show prospective colleges. And it would be really frustrating if the test questions were so badly worded that you couldn't figure out what they were asking. Sort of like those awful quizzes that proliferate around the web:

Which forces catalyzed the invention of writing?

Puh-leeze. They'll be using "impact" as a verb in the next sentence...wait for it...yep. I refuse to allow anything to be "impacted" that doesn't have mass. This includes the government.

I take my amusement where I can find it, these days. My brain hurts, as someone clever once said. I am dreading the day when I wake up and am unable to converse without putting my statement in the form of a multiple-choice question – a sort of Double Jeopardy in computer-scored form.

Good morning, dear. What would you like to drink?

  • Coffee.
  • Earl Grey, hot.
  • Some of that ginseng iced tea with honey.
  • Water from the dog's bowl.

We have three choices for lunch, dear. Which would be likely to make you gag?

  • Leftover tacos from last night, with congealed sour cream.
  • A gluten-free pizza with cheese, tomatoes, and pineapple.
  • One of those gluten-free energy bars that has no nuts or dairy stuff in it.
  • All of the above.
  • [NOTE TO TECH DEPT: Turn off computer randomisation for this item.]

What would you like to do this afternoon, dear?

  • Try to force the dog outside for a walk in the heat.
  • Shoot misbehaving cats with your new water pistol.
  • Try to find a show on television that doesn't involve murder, mayhem, or Billy the Exterminator.
  • Write some new test questions.

You get the idea.

My sufferings, however, are not in vain. Not only do I get paid for this – always a consideration – but I can rest assured that I am making the world safer for democracy, educational progress, and little puppy dogs. As Thomas Paine once said,

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.

I'm not sure, but I think he went on to say something about how "tests, like hell, are not easily conquered, yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the exam, the more glorious the top marks." Or something like that. Great test-taker, Thomas Paine, which is why he was such an Enlightenment hero.

I am also absolutely sure that all those school kids will return from their summer break, tanned, refreshed, and eager to learn. They will open their computers with breathless anticipation, hardly able to conceal their glee at yet another history quiz.

Gee, Mr Gheorgheni, they will say3, you make the greatest tests.

Aw, shucks. 'Twarn't nothin'.

These students are dying to take a test

Fact and Fiction by Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

05.07.10 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1You may not remember doing this, but I assure you, you did. There is a secret method to the summer emptying of the mind, known to all children. This technique relies on a magical genie implanted at birth whose last act before leaving is to erase the memory of its existence, thus leaving adults in ignorance of the fact that all that homework help was in vain.2Even more fun: A lot of these questions are about labour history. Do I spend part of my time singing "Sixteen Tons"? You bet I do.3I just know kids in high school still say "Gee". Look it up in the Urban Dictionary

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A71155631

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more