Unarmed Shark Combat

2 Conversations

Many people each year visit the beach. It's a part of life to swim at the beach at least once. However, it is not part of life to end up in another creatures stomach. This entry is aimed at informing you of the danger of shark attack, how to lessen the possibility of one and the last option combat techniques.

Shark attacks are extremely uncommon, and you have more chance of dying on the way to the beach from a motor accident. Unfortunately, like Lotto, someone eventually wins. Or loses, in this case. The key to survival is to place someone in a position more likely to be attacked than you. This does not mean throwing your toddler out beyond the sandbar, it means lessening the odds of an attack through safe practices. There are five key points to your survival:

1)Safety in Numbers: Swimming in large groups of people will lessen your chances of an attack. Avoid being isolated from the group as
sharks are oportunists, and wait for an easier kill.
2)Afraid of the Dark: Avoid swimming at night, which is when sharks are more active. Swimming at night isolates you during the time of heightened shark activity, when the shark has even more of a sensory advantage
3)Swim Clean: Swim in clean waters, as sewage (health hazard anyway), effluents and blood can attract fish and sharks. If bait fish are feeding or fishing boats frequent the area the chances of sharks being in the vicinity are increased.
4)Flesh Wounds: If you are bleeding a shark can single you out as wounded and may attack you. This is due to sharks being, as mentioned, opportunists, and going for an easier kill. This rule also applies to menstruating women.
5)Fashion Victim: Aviod contrasting clothing, showing tan differences, shiny jewellery as it signal to the shark, as sharks are susceptable to contrast, singling you out again.

While these are by no means a definite defence against sharks, they will lessen your chances of attack.

Of the entire shark family only three are recognised as attacking humans regularly: The Great White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias), the Tiger Shark (Galeocerdo cuvieri) and the Bull Shark (Carcharhinus leucas). These shark frequent all parts of the world (excluding the north/south pole) and can reach sizes in excess of 6 feet. This makes them potentially more lethal than other sharks.

If you are attacked by any shark, however the means of defence is the same, assuming you are an unarmed swimmer. Attack repeatedly and precisely at the gills, or if not possible, the eyes. This will throw off a shark as to it's advantage, it will become unsure of an easy kill. The nose is not as sensitive as commonly believed and should be hit only if the other two regions are inaccessible.

Above all don't go swimming in areas known for multiple shark attacks. Happy Swimming!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A680465

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more