This is a recipe for a lower-sugar, lower-fat alternative to traditional trifle. The ingredients listed are as sold in the UK. Strangely enough it tastes as good as the full-fat variety. This recipe will make four servings.
- Four bananas. If you don't like bananas any solid fruit will do such as pears or peaches but do not use pineapple, papaya or kiwi as they won't allow the jelly to set. If purchasing tinned fruit, use fruit in juice rather than syrup.
- One packet of no-added-sugar jelly crystals
- One tin of ready-made low-fat custard
- One packet of Dream Topping or Angel Delight - these come in a variety of flavours1 and can also be obtained with no added sugar.
- One serving dish (preferably glass – any colour)
- Spoons for stirring
- Heat-resistant jugs for mixing in
Make up your jelly crystals according to the instructions on the packet (fruit juice can be used instead of cold water for topping up; this also makes the jelly set slightly quicker).
Pour the jelly into your serving dish and allow to cool slightly.
Slice your bananas (or chosen fruit) and push them to the bottom of the slightly-set jelly so that they resemble the replaced trifle sponges.
Put the jelly/fruit into the fridge to chill and set completely.
Pour the ready made custard over the set bottom layer of jelly and fruit.
Make up your choice of topping and spread over the custard. Useful tip – do not use skimmed milk as the topping won't be thick enough.
If you wish to make a concession to the alternative recipe, you can sprinkle hundreds-and-thousands2 on the top.
Chill in the fridge and serve when ready.
It can be kept for up to three days, if it lasts that long that is!
Typical Nutritional Information3
Rowntrees jelly crystals (Per 100gms/mls) - kilojoules 1278, protein 59.30g, available carbohydrates 6.5g, Fat 0g (zero)
Ambrosia ready-made Custard (Per 100gms/mls) - kilojoules 303, available carbohydrates 12.4g (of which sugars 7.6g), fat 1.1g (of which saturates 1.0g), sodium 0.1g, calcium 108mg.
Fruit-Jelly Flavour Combinations
Some flavour combinations tried and tested: