A Conversation for Gas State Equations

Virials

Post 1

Sea Change

Does any particular organization track the virials and their accuracy, like say IUPAC, or the CRC Handbook?

Do C, D, E etc. become more important at relativistic speeds, and thus have a significant effect on the expected paths of particles in a cloud chamber?


Virials

Post 2

Dr Hell

I guess the IUPAP (which is the same as IUPAC but for Physics) keeps track of the virial coeffs. The CRC - of course - is one of the stabndard works, but they too have to follow conventions.

I think I remember one of the lectures where our Prof. mentioned relativistic effects affecting thermodynamics. If you think of the Helium phase diagramme, and the superfluidity and other weird stuff taking place at near absolute zero temperature (Cooper-pairs, Phonon-couplings, Bose-Einstein-condensates, etc...) then it becomes apparent that relativity becomes significant in one way or another for thermodynamics too. On the other hand, the virial coefs are empirically determined, so the relativity is not explicitly included in the formulae. The virial formula is just (a good) approximation. Any piece of curve can be fitted by a polynom of high enough degree. For that reason I think it's not C,D,E etc.. getting more important as relativistic effects show up, instead, I think it's the temperature range where A and B are well approximated that gets slimmer.

Then again, I am not ultimately sure... Maybe someone knows the exact answer.

HELL


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Gas State Equations

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more